Missing grub2-theme-endeavouros

Hi,
Updating my system I get

Missing AUR Packages:  grub2-theme-endeavouros

I understand it is installed on my laptop but it is no longer in repos (i.e. not required anymore?)

So, I wonder if I should

yay -Rc grub2-theme-endeavouros

Is it OK to uninstall it?

2 Likes

Correct.

Yes. You may want to check /etc/default/grub and disable it there first if you have it enabled.

4 Likes

Searched for grub2-theme-endeavouros, it is not there.

OK. So I can just proceed and uninstall it.

But to learn more, assuming it was there in the file would just uninsatlling be enough? or it will be ā€œcallingā€ something that is not there and cause Grub issues?

Just curious, why it was removed?

1 Like

You should look at the line GRUB_THEME= and ensure it is commented out.

If you change the file, run grub-mkconfig

3 Likes

My /etc/default/grub shows GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt after this package was removed. The only theme I see left is starfield.

Should be changing /etc/default/grub to starfield?

1 Like

you can remove the line completely too or if you want use another theme indeed its your grub :wink:

# Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme
#GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/livewall.png"
#GRUB_THEME="/path/to/gfxtheme"

We do currently use the Background option where simply only a background image is set.

1 Like

yay -S update-grub
and
sudo update-grub

1 Like

Sounds interesting. I will try.

# Uncomment one of them for the gfx desired, a image background or a gfxtheme
GRUB_BACKGROUND="/boot/grub/coralsoceanunderwater.png"
#GRUB_THEME="/path/to/gfxtheme"
#GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/EndeavourOS/theme.txt

Updated system and Grub with the hook I previously did.
Rebooting.
Rebooted! Amazing! Done!
Thanks @joekamprad and @rpaloha (it needed to update Grub to work)

1 Like

Personally I donā€™t see any reason to install a package from AUR (Simple wrapper around grub-mkconfig) for updating grub.

If

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

is too much to type:

alias update-grub=ā€˜sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfgā€™

or whatever you like.

Mine is grup :wink:

5 Likes

The point is to avoid missing/forgetting/ā€¦ not focusing to do it in case needed I just made a hook to update and do all the stuff automatically without the need of my intervention. (I can be tired/not focusing/ā€¦ and restart system withut doing the required stuff)
Since I did it, it has been a month now and I forgot completely about the Grub issues.

The package from AUR is not a hook like yours for automating the grub update.

It is as it says: Simple wrapper around grub-mkconfig

Therefore, I see no point in installing an extra package to do what you basically can achieve yourself with aliases.

3 Likes

Sorry, I am not sure I follow.
You say there is a package in AUR that does the Grub update. What is this package (it is wrapper I understand). Does it run automatically when needed?
What is the difference between it and the hook?

EDIT:
I personally donā€™t like having any software installed unless needed. This is one reason I loved EndeavourOS.

1 Like

No.

1 Like

So, for me, just my point of view, there is no point for installing it.
The hook is much better as it runs automatically when needed.

Exactly!

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This just happened to me. I uninstalled it and i disabled it in /etc/default/grub. Then it only booted to the firmware. I tried to figure out how to fix this but wasnā€™t successful. I didnā€™t understand why it was reporting this as coming from the AUR? I thought these files were isn the EOS repo. Anyway i could boot to Windows by using the f8 key but my grub was pooched and boots into firmware only. I tried to reinstall grub and update it but it was on btrfs and wasnā€™t co-operating. I just ended up reinstalling instead of spending all my time trying to understand why this happened. I just didnā€™t have time for it. Iā€™m not one to worry about saving stuff so reinstalling takes about 4 mins. Just donā€™t know why this happened now since i thought i was past this grub issue long time ago.

It isnā€™t. It is telling you it is missing from AUR. All that means is that the package isnā€™t in the either the repos or AUR.

Did you run grub-mkconfig after that?

Yes i did and it would only boot to firmware.

1 Like

Interesting. Grub is a mystery sometimes.