Missing grub2-theme-endeavouros

This is really strange. After I uninstalled it it booted normally with a black text screen.
Then after that I could get the image of my choice.
I can’t believe it happens with an expert.
Grub “features” again?

1 Like

Well it doesn’t make sense or maybe it does as this computer i never had any issue with the original grub fiasco. It has been working all along and i use it once a day and it’s always up to date. I was shocked when i saw the grub2-theme-endeavouros was missing. So i dealt with it as far as i know properly but then it just wouldn’t boot except straight to the firmware screen. This is my dual boot Windows/Xfce on Nvidia which i haven’t had any issues with. Both grub wise or Nvidia.

2 Likes

Yes it had an error and then if you pressed enter it went to the black screen and booted. But then when i removed the entry in /etc/default/grub and updated that’s when it booted only into firmware? :thinking:

1 Like

I thought it is over and with installing/updating/mkconfig it should not happen.
I don’t know if this another reason to start thinking seriously about it?
I know some might get angry with me.
But … even with this solution of doing that stuff… it should not be like this. This is not how operating systems work.
This is what I believe, just my personal point of view.

1 Like

It’s probably because i still had the original grub that had the problem even though it never showed itself. I just thought i was past all that stuff since it never emerged until now! Why?

Edit: It’s gone now because i reinstalled it faster than you can blink! Almost! :rofl:

1 Like

Since we don’t know what caused it and it is a single instance of an issue, I wouldn’t panic over it.

3 Likes

I’m not panicking…just don’t understand if my system is up to date and the grub2-theme-endeavouros package was removed a while back? Why all of a sudden it does this?

2 Likes

Another GRub new “feature”!

Though it is working fine with me after I made the hook, knowing how it did with you makes me really consider converting again to sytsemd-boot. I see there is no guarantee it will not break in the future. It might be safer to convert again though sacrificing booting to old snapshots.

I remember like a month ago, I was surprised that despite having BTRFS, snapshots… etc. I had nothing to boot to. As you did, it was easier for me to make a fresh install. But this contradicts the point of a rolling release, and I do not feel OK to reinstall, reconfigure,… all the stuff I did again.

For me reinstalling is a joke. I also had btrfs but I’m not a whiz at understanding how to do everything so sometimes it’s just not worth my time. I don’t have data, I don’t save stuff.

Edit: Sure i can use systemd-boot but if something goes wrong with it I’d be worse off than grub as i don’t understand it any better.

1 Like

How is that? I know everybody was reinstalling, reconfiguring… Grub to avoid this.

For me, the main issue is reinstalling and configuring all the apps allover again.
Installation is smooth and easy.

@ricklinux said he had the old Grub (I don’t know how he could keep it there all that time)

Lucky you. I tend to panic in 2 cases only

• when I can’t boot to the system
  • when I have a problem with WiFi

Other than that, no matter what happens I don’t care, everything can be uninstalled, cleaned. reinstaled,… (almost)

There is nothing much to configure. It’s minor. I don’t configure the crap out of stuff. It’s minor minor setting changes and installed packages take only a couple of minutes.

1 Like

But not everyone did. This could easily be the first time he ran grub-mkconfig since then.

1 Like

My experience, systemd-boot was really simple.
My humble understanding it is simpler by design than Grub, so it fits the KISS. Though Grub offers a lot more.

You know what, I am same as you I don’t understand systemd-boot more than Grub, but I actually don’t understand any of them!

So, he didn’t though updating/upgrading for a month and it was booting normally till it happened now?
I am trying to imagine how!

What are you talking about? As we discussed yesterday, you don’t need to run grub-mkconfig when you update. You are choosing to do so but that is your personal choice, not a general requirement.

2 Likes

Sorry for misunderstanding.
What I was understanding that you have to if kernel gets updated.

No, you only need to run it if you add/remove kernels, run grub-install or change the grub configuration.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying this to me. So I mistakenly understood. Adding a kernel is not same as updating the kernel. I hope I got it right this time.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.