Microsoft Edge (dev) is available in AUR

Edge is based on Chromium - so there is absolutely not gain.

1 Like

so what’s your idea on Canonical and MS partnership? many saying it’s Canonical which brought MS into Linux world, so Canonical is the traitor here or not?

Many people from Canonical and Microsoft :laughing:

That’s terrible from any angle, and will lead long-term to subversion and destruction of both Canoncial and FOSS movement if it will be accepted lightly (thankfully it’s not at all)…

Microsoft will subvert and destroy anything under it’s control…always were and always will.

They also have GitHub and npm - which is way more scary than Canonical, i think.

That’s definitely one of deadliest things which happend to Linux / FOSS world.
We as a community should always go to side of Freedom against corporatism, if such choice arises…

2 Likes

So what’s the catch for Canonical here? their product “Ubuntu” already has become kind of Flagship OS of Linux world to MS, you can clearly see that MS bringing their tools to Ubuntu environment first. Any other benefit for Canonical?

The one and only benefit for any corporation - money.

1 Like

But we can’t deny the fact that it’s Ubuntu and Canonical which made Linux available to the wide range of non-tech daily life users. I mean “Ubuntu” was first successful desktop Linux distro (for normal users, not geeks). They had potential as organization I must say.

Sure, but key word is had :wink:

They sold it out for a higher bidder (and worst of them arguably), you can already see how it’s influence in Linux world have started to crumble with privacy questions, snaps and all that jazz…

And it’s pretty easy to see why Microsoft have picked Canonical - it was the biggest danger to them, as normal users started to realize they don’t need Windows anymore.

It’s very sad that Canonical came to such decisions, in my opinion.

2 Likes

This is the “key” of whole Canonical-MS partnership.

Between Chrome and Edge, Edge is probably a better choice. Microsoft has removed most of it from Google. More privacy settings and so on. But do not use any! :wink: Chrome no one should use in my opinion. There you have number 1 of curiosity!

1 Like

:laughing: :rofl: :clown_face:

P.S. HONK-HONK!!! :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

:surfing_man:t4:

3 Likes

elinks ftw :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think you’re right to not be sure; the majority of Linux users would be against definitely Microsoft and increasingly Canonical, is what I see … the reaction in this thread demonstrates that.

2 Likes

Haha, I just did an update to 20H2. Checked the logs a bit. They tried to send some shit:

Telemetry

I have a very locked down Windows OS.

Home made for privacy! Too bad it has to go that far :confused: And yes, I use Linux too.

1 Like

The dark side of bringing some people over earlier is that it seems to have become very non-Linux, pro-corporate and anti-freedom. I don’t think anybody’s skipping round saying ‘aren’t Canonical awesome, supporting privacy and freedom as wonderfully as they do’, lol, at this point. Every time I hear someone say that Ubuntu was their first distro, I feel sad, because I don’t want people to have that as their Linux introduction or it to be a central distro … I suppose corporate money and friends have helped them get in the spotlight too much, ultimately? Linux Mint, for example, I feel are a far healthier entrance into Linux, increasingly e.g. by being anti-snap (Canonical wanting to have central influence and control) etc. It was my first distro, and I’m really glad it was … ironically, I’d tried Ubuntu, as everywhere was saying it was awesome, three years ago, and it crashed so many times … very fortuitous, as I then tried Mint and it ran perfectly. :+1:t2: Mint seem to have got too overshadowed by the MS/Canonical focus.

1 Like

Telemetry by itself is not bad a thing, because it can help developers detect and fix bugs.
It becomes a bad thing when you cannot easily disable it and when there’s a big company behind it, collecting the data.

Also, it must be said that Ubuntu did a lot to make Linux distros more accessible to the general public. Not everything is bad about it.

3 Likes

I would argue that strongly - telemetry is always bad as instrument, by definition.
It’s a gateway wide open, and bad effects would always overweight good ones.

Very similar to “fighting” bad guys with mass surveillance after 9/11…
Pretty much 0 bad guys have been caught (surprise! :unamused:), but all freedoms gone to toilet.

One exception would be specific dev / research software, for example Firefox nightly or something like that - then all power to devs and those who want to improve…

But public software - no, thx :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I am pretty sure there will no be shortage of cookies in the Microsoft browser. :nerd_face:

That being said, I am way more concerned about Google’s privacy history than Microsoft’s so the fact that it is Chromium based is the greater concern to me.

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, also about how surveillance turned on the public is all kinds of wrong too. An annoying thing about telemetry is that it treats people as if they’d never bother to help naturally … no doubt plenty of people report bugs or download a nightly and feed back about that; really good way to do things, and more than enough information for developers. The second there’s ‘you’ve got to help us, or you’re a bad person’, data-mining telemetry has already lost the argument.

3 Likes

Lol, but are they mocha-flavoured, + a cold latte? If not, I say begone microsoft, wtih your flavourless (neverending) cookies. :rofl:

I think both google and ms have such bad histories about privacy that neither are a good choice. I just focus on steering as clear of them as I can, lol, and in hoping that Firefox/forks will improve and power on.