Microsoft Edge (dev) is available in AUR

well, that was a downer, lol … so Google intend to make firefox pretty much unworkable, choralling users to chrome/edge instead? Not good at all.

1 Like

No @dodgypast should of clarified that gOOgles intend to limit what adblockers in general can do in Chrome. They actually have no control over uBlock Origin.

3 Likes

Nope, they want to restrict plug-ins so the current implementation of uBlock won’t work.

1 Like

By not approving it they were trying to get them to rewrite it. Luckily with the push for privacy this day and age gOOgles had no choice but to back down.

Sounds good, but hopefully it stays that way. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

mind wonder WHY!!! I pass

1 Like

ooooh wolf guarding a chicken pen vibes :wolf:

:thinking:

1 Like

I’m not worried in the slightest about the Firefox+uBlock Origin.

The worst thing that could happen is they acquire uBlock Origin and we have to switch to yet another fork.

What worries me more is the fact that Firefox’s market share is getting smaller and smaller. And the Mozilla people seem to be unable to get their marketing right, they keep failing at every turn. Pretty much every browser today, except Firefox, is Chromium based, and that’s a disaster from the competition point of view.

7 Likes

Yes; reading that article it’s definitely their intention … “the “crippling” update Google has introduced in Chrome (beta and dev versions currently): deprecating the blocking ability of the WebRequest API” … ‘censoring extensions out of existence’. Maybe what happened to uMatrix in recent weeks, being switched to ‘auto-off’. On a positive note, it also references people saying they’ll switch to firefox.

2 Likes

We’ll see about that. I hope that happens, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Never underestimate Mozilla’s ability to screw up a good opportunity.

6 Likes

I agree; even if vast amounts of people changed to firefox, Mozilla’s handling of things in more recent times hasn’t given anyone much confidence in them. Seems a big stretch of the imagination right now, but possibly one day Mozilla could improve … ‘never say never’ (that took some saying, lol) … but at least many people changing over would impact on google, which is definitely a step in the right direction. If every person in the world dropped using chrome, I wonder what they’d do.

3 Likes

It’s not their marketing that’s the problem. The issue they have is their idiotic choice of engines for addons. After all this time there are still a lot of main stream adds that even after being rewritten don’t work with the new engine. Basically they shot themselves in the foot and left the bullet in to fester till they lost the entire leg.

2 Likes

I would really appreciate it if Mozilla gave even longer support for their ESR releases.
I rarely need any of the new features, and it would be enough for me if it just got the necessary security updates and simple bugfixes.

Also, if you look back many years, FF was a very small and simple browser in its beginning. Now it’s a real monster which hundreds of thousands of lines of code in multiple programming languages (Rust, C++, Javascript being the most frequently used).

But the “bloating” is really just a reaction to the “bloating” of the WWW. Still wonder if they could produce some sort of FF Light Edition.

5 Likes

web sucks :innocent:

4 Likes

No major difference between Edge, Brave, Chrome and so on! Built on the same shit! At least the new Edge is better than the old Edge on Windows. Although I do not like that everything should be built on Chromium. There are few good browsers today.

I’ve been using Firefox for 15 years or so. Still okay in my opinion. Although Mozilla has gone up and down as well. You do not need to install Edge on Linux anyway. But choices are good!

1 Like

Is it 1 year? I was updated to 78 recently.

Yes it’s about 1 year, a little more, maybe 13 months.

1 Like

Ok. :slight_smile:

I use Windows (legal one, Retail) also in dual boot environment and Edge is my default browser there for last 1 year. May be that’s why I am interested to give it a try under Linux as well. Canonical and Microsoft Partnership is a big controversy in FOSS world already, although many people believe that FOSS world will be benefited from this…Not sure though.

Note: Edge (based on Chromium) already proved as a better alternative (better resource management, privacy settings) of Google Chrome under Windows environment. But things may be different in Linux as there are already many players in Linux Web browser market.

1 Like

Btw, one argument i’d do here if i had to pick between two is this:
1 bad corporation + 1 bad corporation = 2 bad corporations.

So that means technically Chrome is better, as Google indirectly still heavy influence engine those two browsers share…

And since there are no reasons to prefer Chrome over Chromium…
I’d use Chromium or Firefox :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That is very questionable, that was not the good morning news I was expecting for today…

2 Likes