Manjaro to EndeavourOS experiences

Same for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I relished the slower updates, probably some leftover programming from my Debian days, but now that Arch slowly lops them into the field regularly, I much prefer it. :baseball:

2 Likes

i turn off notifictions off for updates . once a week update manual ( if bad update ) it normal fixed few hours /1 day and i not have problem . Not good to hit update when it appear so best rule is wait ā€¦

2 Likes

That is correct, but it only works if few people listen to this advice. Itā€™s an interesting philosophical/ethical/game theory problem.
:thinking:

9 Likes

I have this same debate with myself whenever I see a new update appear. I want to help fix the issues, but I also want a stable system. What I ended up doing is, if I see that there are more than 10 updates available, I will then update. Only after I make a Timeshift backup. I found that this is a good compromise.

8 Likes

I just update all my computers on the weekend, either Saturday or Sunday. Itā€™s easy for me to remember to update that way, and it gives me something to do besides in addition to drinking.

11 Likes
  • On Manjaro i usually fire update in VM right away, then report issue if this is previously unknown one
  • But for main working computer i always wait for 3-5 days :upside_down_face:
3 Likes

Welcome here!
EOS is basically a terminal-centric distribution, so you can use your knowledge of it here too. At the same time, it provides the ability to install various graphics applications. You could say itā€™s much closer to pure Arch than to Manjaro because it uses Arch repos.

If there is an update I canā€™t help myself, I must install it immediately. I have a bad feeling if I know that there are updates and I didnā€™t install them. :crazy_face:

9 Likes

This is why I never use an update notifier on an Arch-based distro. Since there will probably always be updates, I just update every couple of days when I feel like it. In between updates I live in blissful ignorance.

13 Likes

I donā€™t use a notifier, I check manually for updates at least 2-3 times a day! :rofl:

11 Likes

Even though I know itā€™s unwise, I do the same. :wink:

4 Likes

I update pretty much everyday regardless which distro I am running. Currently on Fedora for the last 2 years on two of my machines only one hiccup (an update removed the libinput config for xorg, manually configured it and moved on). Running btrfs, so a snapshot is only moments away.

5 Likes

I donā€™t sudo pacman -Syuknow what you are all sudo pacman -Syu talking about. I donā€™t sudo pacman -Syu ever update sudo pacman -Syu my system. :wink:

5 Likes

I will continue the tactics you describe on Debian Sid. On EOS, however, I install the updates shortly after the update notification appears. Should package errors occur, pacman will warn you anyway, the process will be interrupted, and I will check the Arch-related websites to see what to do.

2 Likes

By installing updates immediately, you donā€™t risk much. If there are any bugs in the updates, you will read about them sooner or later on the Arch-related websites. Pacman is quite intelligent, because in such cases the update process is usually interrupted anyway. At least for me, this is my experience after more than two years of using Manjaro, Antergos, EndeavourOs.

1 Like

Update your mirrors and try it.
sudo pacman -Syyu
Right?

The Manjaro forum has finally come back from read-only mode. Or should I say it has finally gone because I canā€™t login any more with my username/password. They failed to restore the old files so the forum is actually restarting from empty. Maybe itā€™s time for me to leave Manjaro behind and focus on Endeavour/Arch now. Thank Manjaro for helping me fully (or 99.9%) migrate from Windows to Linux world.

4 Likes

Itā€™s still read only

Glad to hear , since Manjaro helped me migrate to Arch from Debian

3 Likes

Manjaro Linux
@ManjaroLinux
Ā·
3 Std.
Update on forum situation: The old forum is now available in read-only-mode via https://archived.forum.manjaro.org. Our new forum will come online later today ā€¦

in read-only no login is possible, new forum is not online.

Summary

image895

3 Likes

Just a friendly reminder to re-read the first post in this topic.

Feel free to discuss Manjaro or compare Manjaro to EndeavourOS but please donā€™t let it degrade into distro-bashing or become a place to vent all your anger against Manjaro.

12 Likes