Little things the ex-Manjaro user needs to know :D

i am no timeshift user is it not better to use timeshift-autosnap ? just each upgrade it makes backup…cronie is more lamer to make a timed backup :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only works for btrfs, ext4 here. Nice to see you again :smiley:

There’s a hint in there somewhere. :grin:

Eh?, too bloody warm for subtlety :smiley:

If you mean I should use btrfs - tried it, ended up with scrambled file systems.

Oh no rsync pitty :rofl:

Really? Had some trouble myself when btrfs was still “young” and was a lvm with ext4 diehard because of that. -

Retried some time ago and no trouble on several systems for over a year now. Converted all my systems except one to btrfs.

Maybe you should try again?

1 Like

ext4 is fine, there was a problem with btrfs and tlp which probably was the problem. If anything I might try zfs.

btrfs will probably never be “rock-solid” stable. I have had unrecoverable corruption with it several times, including recently. Some people never have a problem. That could be either luck or circumstances. That being said, btrfs has a lot of other benefits that often make it worth the risk.

As long as you have a good backup strategy, btrfs failure shouldn’t be that large of a risk.

1 Like

And snapshots are not good enough. Btrfs snapshots are on the same disk, lose the disk, you lose the lot. rsync is to another drive, much safer.

btrfs snapshots are not a substitute for backups. They serve a different purpose.

That being said, they are great for what they are. btrfs snapshots are worlds more efficient than rsync snapshots.

Also, you can certainly make snapshots part of a backup strategy by using snapshot replication.

2 Likes

EOS KDE is better than Manjaro KDE , that’s why came to EOS

3 Likes

Welcome Hystrix!

2 Likes

That sounds good, I’ll keep it in mind.

that was certainly not the only reason (at least for me)

2 Likes

welcome

2 Likes

Something I posted elsewhere on the forum recently: :wink:

With btrfs’s send and receive commands you can replicate a snapshot on a different filesystem. The command operates in two modes: full and incremental. In the incremental mode, previously sent snapshots that are available on both the sending and receiving side can be used to reduce the amount of information that has to be sent to reconstruct the sent snapshot on a different filesystem; much like rsync in non-btrfs Timeshift.

It’s just a btrfs feature that Timeshift doesn’t make use of. But you could still send/receive snapshots created by Timeshift manually if you wanted to and it wouldn’t take much more time than rsync does. This way you’d have the in-system as well as the off-disk snapshots in case of failure!

2 Likes

Types ‘yay’
Sees ‘there is nothing to do’
Has existential crisis

5 Likes

Have you or anyone else made a feature request to timeshift

To use send/recieve ?

1 Like

:bulb:
Haven’t researched that angle yet. :grin:

[EDIT]
Short search revealed: Is already a feature request since Oct 2019.
We’ll just have to be patient then … :cry:

1 Like

Pamac is the first thing I do an Rcns on when I install manjaro

1 Like

What does -Rcns do? I only know -Rns for the complete uninstallation.

1 Like