Little things the ex-Manjaro user needs to know :D

I have the same opinion of Pamac, however, I have it installed on my laptop running Arch Plasma. I find it is a great tool for actually finding the name of a given package. I use the CLI to do all my installs and updating.

As for Sanps and Flatpaks, I only use Flatpaks for two programs, Skype and Spotify. From personal experience, I found that the Flatpak is updated faster than the AUR. I refuse to use Snaps at all. I went to Arch derivatives to get away from Ubuntu.

Because I have a hard time remembering things, I have all of the update commands aliased in my bashrc to something I can remember.

alias updatedl="sudo pacman -Syyuw"
alias updaterun="sudo pacman -Syyu"
alias connect="nmtui"
alias yayup="yay -Syyu"
alias flatup="flatpak update"
4 Likes

Some of those aliases are pretty redundant. For updating, you can simply use:

yay

without sudo or any options. It will update everything (except flatpaks). It’s quick to type, and pretty easy to remember.

My update procedure is typically checkupdates followed by yay.

EndeavourOS also gives you a bunch of aliases in its default .bashrc, but I find them as difficult to remember as anything :smiley:

4 Likes

Which I have aliased to yy :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you for the information. Someday I will switch completely to using yay. The aliases that I use were developed over time. So they have become routine. I may simplify my update routine in the future, but it is working right now, and it is second nature.

2 Likes

I wonder what you do with all that spare time, now that you don’t have to type that letter A for each update. :joy:

3 Likes

I save on keyboard wear and tear :smiley: In my life time I estimate to have saved 10 pence…

1 Like

I tried pamac for a short time, but did not see any advantage compared to pacman and yay and therefore removed it and never missed it.

2 Likes

These are two things I always forget to do when I used Arch on my primary system! I would submit that this post is helpful not only to ex-Manjaro users, but any user coming to a more barebones Arch system for the first time.

1 Like

I was using Manjaro from 0.8.n a longtime :smiley: The hand holding increased with time, not a bad thing, but I thought this thread could help, the little things are annoying.

e.g. I installed timeshift, set it to daily, backed up and forgot about it, when I looked - no backups!

5 Likes

I have the problem with Timeshift that each snapshot is the same size as the first one created. Actually it should be that all further ones are only incremental. I haven’t changed anything in the factory settings, except for location on a different disk and schedule change to daily & weekly.

1 Like

I did the same exact thing :laughing:

I’m still using Manjaro next to EOS, so feel free to contact me too, if I can, I’ll help … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, but I don’t mean that I’m still using M… along, but my only experience with KDE is based on the version of M… and that was not so lucky … sometime I’ll try KDE on EOS again, just wait until the big changes of the next versions are done. Thank you very much for the salvation offer! :yum:

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’ve always just done 1 On-Demand after install, and then set-up the schedule. It has worked as intended thus far. But come to think of it I haven’t even checked how much storage timeshift is using.

I am not strengthened by the size, it is only surprising, because it is always claimed to be incremental later.

1 Like

I cannot ever succeed this way. Each time i type the third letter i throw my hands up in the air & cheer loudly, hence never get to press Enter. Tis so frustrating.

9 Likes

Maybe you shuold make alias for it - like

alias yah=yay

or even

alias yawn=yay

Well - would solve THAT problem anyway :grin:

6 Likes

I love your idea, it is simply splendid, but i made a very minor tweak to it, which i feel confident will conclusively stop my compulsive cheering.

alias 'sudo pacman -Syyu'=yay

It’s so minor that indeed it is wafer-thin.

11 Likes

It is good to see that we are as on topic as always :rofl:

5 Likes

May I recommend ncspot?

I was looking for a alternative Spotify client that wasn’t that bloated and ncspot fits the bill and it is terminal based. Took me about 3 day’s to get used to it and remember the keybindings.