Linux sucks 2021 - Bryan Lunduke Show

Here you are. Listen with an open ear and mind. Some things are, indeed, disturbing.
Just listen to the end and try to see it with logic, clear mind and objective perspective.

4 Likes

Aa-ha!! The Rebel i see!!!
Logic…clear mind…thinking…that’s criminal & outlaw this days.

How DARE you?! :rofl:

P.S.

:clown_face: :earth_africa: HONK-HONK :clown_face:

2 Likes

But have you listened to the end? Because it’s almost an hour long.
And yes, free logic thinkers are "criminals"nowadays.

1 Like

What is this?

Who are these?
:wink:

“Free logic thinkers” feeling “criminalized” are usually edgelord snowflakes without a convincing argument to persuade their fellow public.

:popcorn:

In the past Linux Sucks presented some real, specific issues in an overexposed but humorous picture. This time I had the the feeling: no, the premise is rather abstract and grasping at straws to construct a doom. He addressed that himself around 36+ min.

Also the “I’ll be running soon”-conclusion is imho thinly justified. OpenBSD or Haiku are a much less viable solution if the issues raised are true. Fuchsia is crushing Linux! No Linux conferences! … Let’s run Haiku! Really?

PS: No offense to Haiku, it’s a great project.

3 Likes

Of course, i watched already some days ago :wink:

2021 edition is spot on, he’s very good at identifying problems, specifically i agree with those:

• Linux leadership
    That’s huge one, and it’s very important.

Whatever you may think about those goddamn dev / evangelists psychos (and yeah, they’re obviously insane making all this crazy stuff requires it! :partying_face: ) - they’re not just part of this stuff, they’re core, regardless of how many steps they’ve took to prevent it.

• Corporations

Here’s how i personally see it:
    (c) The Prodigy - Music for jilted generation

It was always like that, and always will be.

The only way forward is:

1. FOSS
    2. Unix philosophy / suckless
    3. Keep ANY corporation outside of decision making process on directions / future of Linux or any FOSS OS, meaning:
      • We don’t care who you are, you can contribute (as long as it’s FOSS), donate, create drivers for your devices etc

• You can’t subvert, buy, change Linux / FOSS philosophy, direction etc - that’s sacred and not to be changed ever.

Obviously all those corporate minded stuff like Red Hat, Ubuntu etc wasn’t protected from all the pitfalls from the beginning, therefore they’re going where they are.

Google, Facebook, Nvidia, IBM…list goes on - are existential thread not only for Linux, but humanity itself.

• Kernel / packages complexity
    That’s huge problem. And it can be argued that way Kernel is now - inevitable…

I’d rather see something more unix/suckless like, way less bloated and maintainable, with a lot of it’s parts broken on modules (however i’m dilettante here, it’s just logical)

Kernel is one things though, but stuff like all current DEs / qt etc - is much more questionable than Kernel in that terms.

Huge codebase, bloated non-unix ways of doing things tend to lead to a buggy mess, and it is.
    That’s why a lot of people moving to WMs like dwm, i3, sway, awesome etc that’s attempt to make everything simple and take control back.

What he’s talking throughout the years is a really good thought provoking experiment, made for a purpose of identify the main problems and pressure points.

And i don’t think we are doomed, because beauty of FOSS - there’s always a way to fork and / or start over from zero, knowing what we know already. You just need to have a lot courage and attitude to do that.

For the most part i feel positive for the future of Linux (coz people in Linux / FOSS movement are smart enough to see through bs), but extremely bad for a future of :clown_face: :earth_africa: :laughing:

7 Likes

I remember listening to Lunduke’s first Linux Sucks years ago, - it’s great to see him still doing these.

Technically, Fuschia is a clear sign that we’re at a point where the divergence starts to happen at a platform level. At the same time, Lunduke has a clearly valid point about Leadership, - look at the list of Linux sponsors and Board members. The door was held open and for better or worse, multi-nationals walked right in and paid for positions of influence with money. From an ethical perspective, what that eventually leads to is open for debate.

Linux isn’t going anywhere, it’s not dying, there isn’t going to be a doom event, but, it’s evolving because of the above. When corporate entities come in as owners or majority stakeholders, things change. It’s inevitable, because the culture and focus doesn’t align with the drive for revenue and growth. The desktop will remain a niche element, and Linux in SaaS/IaaS will continue to grow as a platform because it’s practically de-facto.

Let me repeat, you can’t kill Linux. The manner in which it diverges (I’m intentionally not using the word fork here), is up to the people who use it, develop it, work with it.

5 Likes

It is so unimportant. Linux is a community driven project and it will survive any single individual. Why would Linux need Richard Stallman or Eric Raymond? Come on. They make noise every now and then, they may share good ideas every now and then, but they are not important at all for the survival of Linux.

3 Likes

Nothing really.

The video reminds me of the old days where Microsoft invented FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.
This is what this video is about. Is this guy paid by Microsoft? just asking. :wink:

2 Likes

What he and i was referring to is more of someone like Linus the “creator”, it’s hard to find even 10 different people who would be together THAT good and knowledgeable of what they’re doing as he done alone, but obviously Kernel now is way bigger than Linus.

Survive or support something is one thing, it won’t go away.
But create / improve and at least try to keep up with stability / security at the same time on the level it’s still somehow managed to get that far until now - is totally different.

I view such people more like an artists, wizards than anything.
You can’t just replace Bach with a couple of strangers, if you catch my drift :laughing:

And fact that there’s a hunt for such people is very telling of where things are going, i agree with Bryan here.

That’s why focus on simplicity / UNIX philosophy is very important i think, simpler software = better maintainability = less stress on individual genius minds for whole ecosystem and it’s future.

Now Kernel looks somewhat like Sisyphean laybor and it doesn’t look like a good long-term idea…

1 Like

You know you are a real threat when people are talking about you trying to take you down.

Bravo gnu, Linux and all FOSS.

2 Likes

You post doesn’t add up.
You want strong leaders, but still argue to avoid them.

Also, if you are so afraid of corporations, why do you own stuff made by corporations?

Of course what FOSS evangelicals tend to forget is that Linus never created Linux as an anti-commercial, anti-government or anti-corporate tool, but Open Source was just the most handy license model.

Maybe i don’t write well?
I never said that i am for strong leaders or anything alike, what a non-sense.

Linux leadership (what Bryan was talking about this time) is clearly not meant in terms of authoritarian power, have you listened Linux sucks 2021?

If you mean Intel / Nvidia etc - unfortunately we all know the answer.
It’s not a contradiction, but necessity at that point, maybe some day when RISC-V will evolve to compete at least on some level - i’d be happy to use / maybe even independently create some hardware :upside_down_face:

So what? I think it’s supposed to be win-win thing :slight_smile:
Out of every available model he have accepted mr. Stallman idea for variety of reasons, sounds good to me.

Besides he was proven right on that decision multiple times (for example beef with malicious Nvidia intents and giving them a finger), that’s one of the reasons Linux is still a viable option.

Linus personally takes anti-corporate stance only when corporation clearly interfere with the process - which is very good, in my opinion and i have mentioned it before in my post, that’s how things should be done if we want constructive collaboration and not hijack-subvert type of relationship.

Those other who accepted game rules like Intel / AMD feeling pretty fine, no one seem to be offeneded or unhappy.

Is this really worth an hour of my time, I wonder… Last year’s was meh at best.

To all here.
Bryan Lunduke has his own opinion and it is his show.
I don’t say he is right or wrong. He just has something to say, and we can draw our own conclusions.
It’s worth or not our time? How many things in this life guaranteed are worth out time ?

On the other hand, let keep this going without deviating from the main direction. And for the love of whatever one holds dear, don’t bring or mention politics in this thread.
Thanks in advance, cheers!

3 Likes

Let’s revive pc-bsd so we have some place to turn.

I’m not worried too much. GNU Hurd is almostTM here…

To be honest, I never really liked Linux that much. The whole concept of a monolithic kernel seems shortsighted to me. It’s just the best thing we have. For the moment.

3 Likes

Lunduke might be also wrong, underestimating community craft. I hope so.

1 Like

he’s not underestimating community craft. He’s asserting that community craft can only carry anything so far. He points to all the other components other than community craft and they are failing to live up to the task.

1 Like