Linux sucks 2021 - Bryan Lunduke Show

So components the community have no interest in are failing? Why is this detrimental to the community then? Also: name three major failing Linux components, just for curiosity.

He named several. Watch the video

I believe Rush Limbaugh has been reincarnated. This is a pretty typical shock-jock kind of reporting overacted like William Shatner in Star Trek where massive tone and volume changes seem to make something more correct. i.e. delivery is not objectively convincing and makes me suspicious of content and intent.

As far as I can tell, the real observation is that personal computing in the way we have been doing it since the 1980s is on its way out generally. Microsoft no longer is seeing much of a future in windows either. We already do not do computing like we did 15 years ago and in 15 more years it will be completely different. Particulars of operating systems will matter less. What I think you will find is that posix type systems will come to dominate in that world as we run them on VMs in the cloud. We should be more concerned about monopolistic dominance of cloud platforms.

3 Likes

This is all nonsense. Windows sucks! :rofl:

4 Likes

I totally agree, though Iā€™d say that monopolistic dominance of the architecture of the web generally is the overarching problem. I think mesh-networks and similar projects are something that far/free-thinking people should be focusing on, which would be in keeping with the recent(?) focus on decentralized networks, etc. Now if only I had the technical knowledge and skills to contribute to such things!

4 Likes

Speak for yourself!! :rofl:

:penguin:

1 Like

If you let it yes! But not all of us are following the same philosophy. Donā€™t buy what they are selling.

2 Likes

That dude is super annoying :laughing:
Linux is done, guess thereā€™s nothing we can do about itā€¦ :man_shrugging:

Another year, another opinionā€¦ Yet itā€™s the same.

1 Like

Systemd has sealed that deal. there is no piece of software that is more antilinux, antichoice, antifoss, and antignu than systemdā€¦ the one init to rule them all and in the darkness bind them

i was mesiing with debian a bit recently and followed a guide and got it running on sysvinit like it used to but do you know that sysvinit can be pid 1 you still have programs that require systemd be installed as a dependency for those programs even when they absolutely will not be using systemd. It occurs to me that people are plum crazy and donā€™t comprehend what an actual dependency is. This is insane. Itā€™s like gentoo has a dependency for browsers to use gnome-keyring. you have to install it and deal with it even if you hate it and it annoys you to death and the browser absolutely doesnā€™t require it to function but its forced upon the end user with no way to escape from its use other than to not use gentoo. On arch i use sudo pacman -Rdd gnome-keyring and never look back. A dependency is a must have app for a thing to function not a thing we force on people because we say so. /justbeginningmyrant

linux will be the victim of the destruction of all its leadership and founding principles and of all the success and popularity that results from it.

3 Likes

True, but there are systemd alternatives in Linux - you donā€™t have to go to BSD or support systemd. Artix Linux is Arch derived and works fine with no systemd. Devuan (Debian based), works well. AntiX as well. Void is independent and systemd free. Further off the beaten path there is Slackware, Gentoo and Guix.

What we need is for devs not to make systemd a dependency, so we arenā€™t forced to use it (or pieces of it creatively renamed), in order to install software we want to use. The original Unix philosophy or sucklessā€™ philosophy mentioned by previous posters is what needs to be promoted amongst the dev community in order to prevent the growing Borg-like (to use a Star Trek metaphor to compliment your Lord of the Rings reference) assimilation that systemd is causing.

Even though EndeavourOS is my main distro, I dabble in Void in order to show some interest in and support non-systemd distros. In fact, Void is very interesting because they went to systemd several years ago and then purged it and left systemd. Now if we could get Debian or Arch to do that we would be on the way to rebelling against the systemd mafia. For those users that want systemd (like the big corporate distros such as RedHat, Suse, etc), there is nothing to stop them from using it.

Debianā€™s vibe of being a completely community based (vice corporate sponsored) ā€œuniversalā€ operating system, is particularly conducive to reining in systemdā€™s world domination if the grassroots can be harnessed to make it optional vice the default moving forward. There is still a lot of drama about them going to systemd in the first place, perhaps Debian can pull a Void like maneuver and reverse systemd adaption. Of course, Ubuntu is going to swing a big bat if the Debian masses try to drop systemd, so it would be a battle.

2 Likes

images

3 Likes

Yes, I was thinking. Why systemd has so many lines of code and one can fit even a office suite in the systems, if systemd devs would see fit.
What happened with KISS principle?
Do we need so many solutions to problems we donā€™t have?
Maybe I am just a fool and donā€™t know squat about systemd, but as mentioned above, would start to explore distros without it and maybe less bloated and more simplistic.

3 Likes

Even google has the good sense to build a microketnel. And they have a literal war chest of resources.

Iā€™m guessing the forked hurd?

This is such a bizarre statement, the top 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux, and a vehicle that just landed on Marsā€¦

Tell me, how exactly is it ā€œdoneā€? Itā€™s not even startedā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

I agree Linux is just starting. Even HP is bringing out some now. Manufacturers need to get onboard and start putting out some devices for consumers. People will adapt. Linux is just not known enough by the masses.

2 Likes

Exactly! I guess the guy in the video was just too much of a doomer for me. I watched the whole thing and my eyes were in the back of my head for most of it. Not my style of predictive ā€˜journalismā€™.

2 Likes

He does this same kind of thing yearly. You have to take it with a grain of salt. He loveā€™s his doomsday scenarios.

I threw away 45 minutes and watched the thing again this yearā€¦ It was underwhelming. Not much in the well thought out department, plus the slideshow was boring. I liked the 8bit one last time a lot! I feel like heā€™s put in very little effort this year due to the state of the world. It felt like he was just doing the thing, because that is what he does.

Hopefully next year itā€™s in some sort of large public space with a lot of people in the audience. Heā€™s better when challenged anyway.

2 Likes

That is not an argument, and I hope you can see it.
ā€œIf youā€™re afraid of our societyā€™s future, you should be in the forest banging rocks togetherā€ Isnā€™t a great way to debate our future, to steer it. Corporations are literally unavoidable right now, in our modern life. It doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t see the problem with that. You canā€™t change society if you donā€™t participate in it, thatā€™s not how things work.

4 Likes

The point is over the top, but the paranoia is always selective.
Microsoft is the Big Evil. Somehow. So is NVIDIA for reasons I will never understand.

Heck, as I have pointed out before people switching between absolutely freaking out over Intel being Evil Overlords ā„¢ and being the saviors of Open Source Hardware, to the point of refusing to use Clear Linux one day and advocating for using Intel graphics the next.

Again, Linus Tovalds didnā€™t start Linux because he was a Libertarian anti-Goverment anti Company guerilla warrior. He started programming the Linux kernel because he was curious if he could do it and open source was the easiest licence to work with.
He uses Fedora, himself, which is owned by Red Hat, (which several people on these forums distrust to Microsoft levels). People just keep confusing him with Stahlman, something that is very difficult to do if you actually see photos of them side by side.

These discussions always crack me up, because sooner or later you get the equivalent of a ā€œFree Hong Kongā€ tweet with the ā€œPosted from my iPhoneā€ at te bottom of it.

1 Like