Last visit

It’s as though @ricklinux had taken control of my browser! I go away, then come back, and I find the “last visited” line just above his post. I didn’t ask for it, but there it is! At least my “last visited” line is rendered in a lovely frog-green, because it’s the last edit I made to my userContent.css file.

Yes, for this very reason, I agree that the “last visited” line is completely unnecessary. I’d be happy if it were removed from forum threads. It’s useful, though, on the Latest Posts page.

1 Like

I don’t get it. It seems useful to me.

Yes, we just peppered it with some humor to cope with the line :upside_down_face:
I really seriously think it’s…terrible decision on discourse part, but since it’s clearly (almost) just me… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It disappears when you are up to date reading from the last visited point in the post, right?

I have to say, that it is most useful to me, since I have a lot of half-read posts over here. :wink:

1 Like

Well sometimes it does the Schrodinger thing like for @ricklinux though :laughing:

But really, why it exists at all i don’t get.
You go to some unread topic which have new posts, once you click the topic - you’ll get scrolled to exactly the place which you’ve missed things from…

And this…this…this…LINE!!! tells you that you have missed from that point, when you know exactly that when you’ve clicked to enter the topic, just to disappear until the next time someone will write something once you enter that topic again?! :exploding_head:

I mean…Maybe i reeaaally miss something here, but to me it’s some kind of visual bloated bloat of already usable and intuitive UX of Discourse…Or maybe it’s just my professional deformation, since i’m in that field.

That doesn’t always work perfectly. Especially when you are at the bottom of a topic with a lot of short posts. The line makes it much more clear.

It is also less confusing for new forum users.

I guess this was a much requested feature from all communities all over the world using Discourse. (And those are a lot, even my bank is using it as a helpline)

If it is really annoying for a lot of users, I will look into the possibility to remove it.

1 Like

You mean like when you have rotated 21x9 screen full of 50 short posts and that’s not apparent which one of them you haven’t read…?

Well, maybe you got a point then :rofl:

1 Like

Somehow i doubt it, looks like more of a forced decision by some temporary-line-loving desinger who think he’s smart :joy:

But thx! :slight_smile:

And looking at this topic i really doubt anybody really cares…so i’d need to spend some money on therapy :rofl:

1 Like

Like I said, I just wished it wasn’t this ugly, violent, red colour. Something subdued and I wouldn’t even notice it :slight_smile:

And yes, I know I can overide the css, probably not going to bother with it, since I’m not bothered by it that much.

I understand @dalto’s point. When it is a while ago you have visited the forum or a topic and you are reading just above the line to get up to speed again, it certainly is a handy feature.

As I said before, I have a lot of threads “open” like that and from what I saw today, it was very useful to me.

2 Likes

Look at you…you got life outside this forum… :thinking:

I’m still not sure there’s reality outside, that’s why i always see 1 unread post at max on each thread :rofl:

2 Likes

Some of them even go back to May for me :relaxed:

But, yes, I do try to get more outside to clear my head, running two communities on several platforms :wink:

2 Likes

@keybreak
Patient: Doctor, i’m afraid to look over my shoulder :cold_sweat:
Doctor: Why is that?
Patient: What if there’s LAST VISIT LINE standing behind me?!?! :scream:
Doctor: Is this line here with us in the room now?

3 Likes

I like it. Discourse thinks I’m just a regular guy! It’s so much better than explaining myself like usual.

And if you never log out again, you’ll never see it. All the more reason to stick around.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to me to work like it has been explained. :man_shrugging:

Simple answer: stay logged in.

4 Likes

Persistent login :wink:

2 Likes

Oh no, it’s right behind you:

right behind you

1 Like

It’s almost like it’s following you.

3 Likes