Kwin replacement - wm faster as kwin

Are there any other window managers like Kwin which can remember the window position even with multiple screens?

That functionality is coming in the next version.

In the meantime, you can use window rules to force windows to open on certain screens.

6 Likes

I like kwin, but sometimes it’s really sluggish & opening programs takes a long …
I have already optimized everything possible (audio production setup incl linux-zen)
slowest are e.g. VST plugins via wine-staging, it seems to have something to do with plasma or QT … maybe compositor

I’ve already thought about replacing Compositor with Xcompmgr …
Xfce would be optimal if a window management like kwin would be available, I work with 3 screens where e.g. the DAW mixer window and the plugin windows can be arranged via kwin on all 3 screens on DAW startup

Have you tried creating window rules that disable the compositor when those applications are running?

1 Like

Depends on how you setup your Wine / Wineprefix and VSTs (for example if you make a mistake in can update Wineprefix each time you launch VST which would obviously eat a lot of time)

Also it heavily depends on VST, if it’s something like Reaktor it will take little more time to load than some simple plugin…

To me KDE is as fast as anything with LinVst

btw if you can screen-capture issue we’d probably have more stuff to analyze / offer, also i’m kinda expert on VSTs with Wine (tested ~2000 of them so if you need more help don’t hesitate to PM)

P.S. Not sure linux-zen is a best option for audio, i’d stick to mainline Kernel and use RT only if some problems arise, which is pretty rare unless you use a whole museum of midi devices :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I am not the only one

1 Like

Hmmm…Maybe you’re right, that makes you two at least, i haven’t updated for about couple of weeks, perhaps some new updates have bring this changes :thinking:

Dolphin and KDE apps are fine, these apps have a lot more features and filters etc. as Xfce
but yesterday I had to remove many LV2 plugins because apps like audacity (seems to be GTK?) takes about 2 minutes to start … it seems something in plasma or qt (32bit apps too) slow down the GTK apps

Ehh…no problems with gtk apps starting for me. Quite a lot of plasma users use gtk apps so if they were routinely taking 2 minutes to start for everyone that would be a huge problem.

1 Like

There’s kwin-lowlatency in AUR, but that isn’t a real replacement rather than just an “improvement”.

mostly 32bit stuff or VST 32bit plugins/ apps via wine-staging which started much faster in the past
lib32 stuff are in place …

I have to disagree with many of your statements. KDE may run slow on your install but I do not find such problems. I have just tested the apps you mentioned, most were almost instantaneous. Audacity loaded just a bit slower but no problem. Look at your setup for clues. wm and kwin are not designed to replace each other. To achieve true speed, you must simplify your setup. Look at htop output to see what is really running.

maybe a multilib or wine issue w/ 8core cpu? 64bit apps are ok so far, just a little slower …
also the wine windows start w/ blacked out windows w/ high cpu usage (just the start)

I found many of these messages, seems to be an wxGTK issue:

10:31:00: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1013,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and your program used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1014,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).

Now I have found these packages in AUR, do you think they are safe and can be installed without worry?
lib32-wxwidgets-light, wxgtk2-light, wxgtk3-light …

pkgbase=“lib32-wxwidgets-light”
pkgname=(‘lib32-wxbase-light’
‘lib32-wxgtk2-light’
‘lib32-wxgtk3-light’
‘lib32-wxcommon-light’

it shows:

C++ ABI check is too strict and breaks with GCC 5.1

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1200611