Isp drives me crazy

DSL can still provide very good speeds/performance depending on the version

VDSL does 50mb/s, VDSL2 does 200mb/s, GFast does gigabit. DSL also has the advantage of generally more consistent latency than something like DOCSIS which tends to shit the bed when its peak times.

2 Likes

Yeah i had no idea about those V ones before today alsoā€¦
Still, what about reliability? :clown_face:

1 Like

Im using a DOCSIS provider atm and the reliability has been garbage compared to my old VDSL2 line. Ill probably be switching back as i previous never had a single outage but now i do at least once a week

2 Likes

In theory they could, but it depends on the fiber rollout strategy and w.e weirdness the ISP does. I had a neighbor in a duplex that could get fiber but i couldnt :man_shrugging:

Though most ISPs will lay it for you if you pay enough :dollar:

EDIT: ISPs likely have a heat map of priority areas for fiber rollout

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s exactly my pointā€¦Unless theyā€™re like South Park cable company monopolist of course :rofl:

2 Likes

I only have a maximum of 50mbit VDSL available here, and Iā€™m extremely satisfied with 28ā‚¬.

on the other side of the street are new construction apartments. on our side, the houses are at least 30 years old. the city center is fully equipped with fiber optics.
in the end, i would have to finance my connection completely.

the road surface was renewed three years ago. new sewage pipes. new led street lighting. everything new.
unfortunately they forgot to put fiber optics on our siteā€¦welcome to germany

1 Like

this is exactly what they are doing.

1 Like

Itā€™s not fast enough for me at any cost. Even if it was free. :rofl:

1 Like

Its not just Germany, the United States is like that too. Most places havenā€™t even heard of fiber internet and some the only option is satellite or star link.

Thereā€™s fiber rollout near me but not in my exact area so I canā€™t get it. :man_shrugging:

Iā€™m not picky about speed though, Iā€™m more interested in latency and consistency. Its just me using the network so 50-100mb/s is more than enough for my needs and its cheaper.

When I moved into this new place last year it could only get cable but now Iā€™ll be switching back to VDSL

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in all of it. Price, speed service interruptions, latency, equipment, security etc etc etc. Garbage Internet is garbage internet. Not worth having.

1 Like