ISO Image Creator

Old question: What’s the bestest ISO image creator thingamajig?
I remember I liked the SuSE one but forgot the name. Etcher takes forever to install and … well, what’s y’all’s fave?

1 Like
  • dd if you are okay with using terminal
  • popsicle-git
  • Gnome Multi Writer
  • Ventoy (This is not exactly an image writer. It lets you keep multiple iso on your pen drive and boot whichever you like)
3 Likes

Yay, Popsicle! I forgot that one as well. I guess it’s perfect.
Thx so much
xoxo

1 Like

I’d recommend dd in all cases. :wink:

Not saying the others are not good. But dd works every time.

2 Likes

But DD has one huge big fat disadvantage: It’s not sexy!

2 Likes

and can be a destroyer of disks :cd: :bomb:

4 Likes

Yes, with dd one must be careful not to wipe the wrong partition.
A similar problem is possible with many other tools, but somewhat less probable.

And no, programs don’t need to be sexy! :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

Gnome disks also can write iso to flashdrives.
:high_heel:

7 Likes

It’s in the AUR , imagewriter . I use the git version imagewriter-git :hugs:

5 Likes

Tried gnome-disks (package gnome-disk-utility) and it worked fine here.
But the menus weren’t totally clear to me… maybe it is just me. :wink:

2 Likes

You are right. Perhaps not that intuitive at first when one doesn’t know where to find “Restore Disk Image” option.
But you found it! :slightly_smiling_face:

It is not a language thing either, because in my native language it was equally challenging! :rofl:
But anyway, after carefully eliminating the wrong menus, I managed to find it… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Back when I was a total beginner, I liked etcher for the fact that it is sexy and did not let me accidentally write to a harddisk partition.

No I don’t like ether any more. :laughing:

Wot? Since when?

1 Like

Kool,thx
xoxo

1 Like

Thank youuuu!
xoxo

2 Likes

Don’t know why but popsicle is the only one that works :100: for me and is the fastest usb creator I used.

Multiwriter for example superslow.

2 Likes

Everybody gangsta until you have no Xorg server.

Had to make do with dd sometimes, so i keep a bookmark on my phone to its man pages.

Aside from dd i have used:

1- popsicle (Pop_OS! image writer written in Rust)
Why i don’t use it anymore: My main problem with this one that it takes hell of a time to compile and install if i have to install on a live session.So nowadays i mostly use:

2- gnome-disk-utility (aka Gnome Disks)
Why I use it: I already use it to modify fstab to mount my HDD on a specific place on root, so it’s always installed anyways on my machine. I’ve had better write performance from it (around +1.5-2 MB/sec) but mostly because it’s available everywhere. Pick a random distro from distrowatch.com, it probably has this on pre-installed repos. On arch it’s on official extras repo. So i don’t need to compile it on a live session, it just installs. This is really important to me because I don’t have a powerful cpu (we’re talking pre-amd-fx era here boiz).

2 Likes

I use popsicle as well.

As an FYI, there is now a released popsicle package so you don’t have to use popsicle-git unless you prefer the latest source.

4 Likes

:rofl:

That goest to my top Linux quotes :laughing:

3 Likes