Is there some limit to how many smart devices we need in our lives?

:cold_face:
:rofl:

1 Like

The only “smart” device you need is a computer and an Android-based phone/tablet to use Signal, Threema, etc.

PS: IMHO :sweat_smile:

Oh, shite… this was a closed thread… :rofl:

My phone: I don’t own a smartphone. Landline only.

My television: An old CRT model, connected only to a DVD player, not to the Internet.

My computer: EndeavourOS. Connecting to the Internet with reasonable precautions.

My electric kettle: It broke last night after many years of faithful service. For now, a saucepan on my electric stove serves the same purpose.

Not for me:

We too had a very old television up until not too long ago. It broke and then I got my parents’ 15 year old Loewe TV. That TV is smarter than our old one, but not smart in the current meaning of the word. Biggest advantage of the new one is its screen is at least twice as big as the old one (which was tiny), as my eye sight is not getting better. :older_man:

1 Like

The smart washing machine is a must have for me.

Not only does it keep the manufacturer informed with data about my washing preferences and times, but by sharing my social media accounts with it, it will let everyone else know when I am doing the laundry as well. Perhaps best of all, since it is filled with a bunch of electronics, it has a much shorter lifespan so I am able to get a brand new machine more often.

Frankly, I am not sure how I ever lived with the older non-smart machines in the past.

3 Likes

Does anyone trust some smart devices If they do not have WiFi, LAN, Bluethooth and cellular technology?
The smart devices work for or help you in offline mode without internet and cannot send your personal data to servers.

Depending on device, and if it has NEVER and won’t have any uptime ever…probably it’s possible…But still why on Earth would you want that?

I guess maybe those small smart dust-suckers maybe can be argued (in case you can use FOSS software to control them fully offline, like some of those models it seems possible)…not much else comes in mind.

1 Like

Only one smart devices here, the one I married. :joy:

I would keep my robot-vacuum-cleaner. :robot:

I’m more concerned about A.I. stuff :cold_face:

Definitely watching you type that. Earned extra brownie points today :laughing:

1 Like

I mean, they used to be called wiretaps for god’s sake. Now we just ask the “wiretap”/Alexa to play music and ask for dinner recipes.

1 Like

Unfortunately the answer to the question in far too many cases appears to be 'One more than I have". So sad.

currently fighting to keep 'smart' out of my car - manual trans, hydraulic steering etc)

I certainly agree with you. Some smart items are just ridiculous but hey, to each their own.

Smart devices are great! :eyes:

we got one lately… luckily the smart functions are very non-smart and really hard to use it only have NFC with what you should be able to push custom washing programs … useful things… the app also reminds you on… cleaning the machine…and instruct you to set a program manually when doing so… no NFC for this…

Ah and we do (indeed) have a smart fridge… with a huge display… able to show the temperatures (no not… the temperature inside… ) you set the fridge too …

And finally i got a smart souvide stick the only of the 3 that is able to connect to wifi (or better said… should) to connect it to the local network you need to put it like 20 cm to the router to be able to get it detected… but this is indeed only working if the device is immersed into water… if not it does put of the “pairing” mode and peeps with a very loud warning noise…

2023-11-06_00-13

One is one too many, and one more is never enough.

Pudge

1 Like

1 here only because I required something to find out what was sucking electricity here (an old dishwasher, as it turned out) and a smart plug with power measurement (display on phone) cost 1/4 as much as a dedicated power-measuring plug (LED display) …

I just want to note - this may be the first smart machine I’ve ever wanted. The next time the wife says “you never do the laundry” I can pull up the app and be look - these are all the wash times you said I didn’t do.

Maybe we’re onto something here. . .

1 Like