Is it safe to install linux-zen 5.8 like this?

Or is it possible? Any safety/security risks?

sudo pacman -U https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/x86_64/linux-zen/download/

Why would you? It’s in the stable repos…sudo pacman -S linux-zen linux-zen-headers

3 Likes

Not 5.8?

Something wrong with my mirrors?

1 Like

Yes.

You’re effectively doing a partial upgrade of the kernel, so YMMV. At the moment the repos looks pretty stable so you should be fine.

If you want to do a signature check then download a specific URL rather than using the “download from mirror” URL, and pacman will automatically check the .sig at the same time.

6 Likes

That’s great! That would have been my next question!
Off I go!

Thanks a lot!

Sorry bout that. Didn’t realize. Still your using a modified kernel from testing so :pray: :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Never mix stable and testing repositories. Either go full testing or stay on stable.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads-up!

I had already installed the kernel before I saw your post. Now rebooted back into the system. First impression is that everything is working. I don’t think I will be installing anything more from Testing. Do you think I’ll be ok with just leaving it as is?

You’ll need to keep an eye out for kernel updates (as you won’t get them automatically without the testing repos enabled) and for any other breakage caused by different library versions. Cherry-picking specific packages from testing leaves you very much on your own if it breaks. :wink:

4 Likes

Sure, I won’t be doing this. Thanks for the info and your concern!

3 Likes

When linux 5.8 will be pushed into core repository, all will be better. Until then, you’re on your own. Do not install a single testing package anymore. Just don’t.

4 Likes

Or…Don’t tell nobody :shushing_face: :laughing:

3 Likes

Bad idea…

6 Likes

But… can you remove nobody? :thinking:

3 Likes

I won’t! I wait until Stable catches up and then will stick with it! Thanks again for your concern! I appreciate it!

2 Likes

You can, but you’re not gonna like the results. :laughing:

6 Likes

If you remove nobody does that mean you end up with everybody? :thinking:

8 Likes

Yes, all or nothing but rather nothing more :smiley: .

3 Likes

Still not gonna like the results! :rofl:

It’s like mentioning: “I use Arch, btw!”

1 Like

I had some limited success with that line. It’s not entirely useless.

2 Likes