Is it safe to install linux-zen 5.8 like this?

Is there a specific reason why you NEED linux 5.8 immediately?

4 Likes

Ehrrā€¦ not really :blush:
Mostly curious about how stably runs a kernel from testing.

2 Likes

That is a good reason to want to try a new kernel that is only in testing. As long as you understand that you may run into problems, and are willing to submit bug reports. This way the kernel can move from testing to stable faster. The only time I have used, or even recommended a kernel from testing is in cases of ā€œultra-newā€ hardware. For example, when I got my latest laptop almost 2 years ago, the only way to have a touchpad that worked was to run a kernel from testing. It was not fun.

4 Likes

Far from being a power/super user, I am very much in the process of learning. Of course if I run to any issue, I will report it. So far with my limited usage, the kernel seems to be running fine. I am willing to learn how to put specific things to test if being pointed to how-to.

Thanks for your comment!

3 Likes

No worries, weā€™ve all been there!

My 1st time Linux story for example was really funny in that senseā€¦
I was searching for distro to make switch and i needed some pro audio stuff to make switch (which in my mind requires Realtime Kernel)ā€¦

And i was like, ok i want my distro to be easy and fun, i donā€™t want to get too hardcore this timeā€¦
Only installing programs and have fun, nothing powerful here, so i have chosen Linux Deepin.

Literally first thing i have done - compile Kernel with RT patch, nothing too hardcore :rofl:

Each time you promise yourself not to go too far into the rabbit hole - youā€™re doing something like this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thatā€™s just Linux spirit i guess :slight_smile:
Next thing you know - you already use Arch, btw :upside_down_face:

P.S. btw itā€™s a good idea to try some wild stuff on VM, you canā€™t really mess this up! VM wonā€™t judge! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I havenā€™t been on EOS for long and I know it is as bleeding edge as you could get.

I guess it is about personality traits as well. I love getting lost, in new unknown towns, always curious about what is around the next corner.

Now I can say, I am getting close to Arch. With more experience, one day I could say ā€œby the way, I use Archā€. Hope to get lucky as well like @Kresimir :wink:

5 Likes

i could use arch btw ā€¦ but just to much typing workā€¦

4 Likes

This is kind of on topic, spank me if not.

This question comes from a screenshot @pebcak posted here. Is Simple Kernel Manager a part of Eos?

Or does this have to be installed? I donā€™t have my laptop with me at the moment :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yep, comes with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes