Is it a Good idea to dual boot EOS and Win10 on my Dell xps 15 9510?

The reason for me needing to dual boot is that I need to have the subwoofers work in davinci resolve and the free version of it does not come with the h.264 codec. I do want to move to Linux in general but I need that stuff if I want to do video production. And gaming in general I can do in Linux but I do not want to be banned from genshin impact or overwatch.

What I am looking to do is to partition my 512GB in half so that I still have windows for some things and EOS for the rest.

If anyone can point out any known issues and fixes for them that would make me super thankful for your help.

I would also like the best steps for doing this proccess so that nothing gets corrupted

1 Like

No, Windoze is spyware.

4 Likes

I general it’s pretty easy.

• disable secure boot in bios
  • go in windows, shrink that partition
  • boot into eos live USB, install/select on shrinked partition.

That’s it!

That being said, would be good to post more about your hardware, that’s the main problem. Are you using Nvidia?

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/forum-log-tool-options/how-to-include-systemlogs-in-your-post/2021/03/

And I guess with the new eos iso you will need to enable os prober to see windows at boot…

Edit: here how to do this, easy pisey!

https://discovery.endeavouros.com/grub-and-refind/grub-dual-booting/2021/07/

1 Like

In order to sparing yourself “possible” future issues if sharing the same ESP (EFI System Partition) with Windows you might want to look into the option of a separate ESP only for EnOS.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

The first thing to do (unless you didn’t already!) is make sure your backups are up to date and on an external drive, especially your personal data that you don’t want to lose.

3 Likes

Specs:
RTX 3050
Intel Core i7-11800h
PC711 NVMe SK hynix 512GB
15.6 inch touch display with 100% adobe RGB
Windows 10 Home
16GB DDR4 3200MHz

One option is to use a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox which is easy to use).
It has some limitations, but for normal stuff it is relatively good. For gaming it is not the best option.

Anyway, with a virtual machine you will not break any existing stuff.

Hi @enderpirate98, welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, it is never a good idea to dual boot Linux and windoze, on any computer. If you absolutely must use windoze (you don’t, btw, but you may think you do), the only safe way to do it is in a VM.

I explain in quite some detail why dual booting is stupid, in my big post here:

There is no way to guarantee that. The only way to keep your data safe is to have multiple, external backups of it. This is especially true when you’re doing delicate operations that are likely to cause data loss, like repartitioning your drives. However, it is also true with general, every day computer usage – hardware failure happens all the time, HDDs and SSDs malfunction, often with total, unrecoverable data loss. That’s usually not a big deal when it happens if you have your data backed up, but can be a total disaster if you don’t. Storage is fairly cheap, but data can be priceless.

3 Likes

I have everything backed up and now I just need both OSs because I don’t want to get banned from Overwatch and Genshin Impact. Also I cannot afford the paid version of davinci resolve (the free linux version does not have everything that the free win version has) and the proper sound drivers for the subwoofers to work as good on them as linux does not exist (easy effects/pulse effects is just janky and does not provide the right solution). And if something is not on Linux and I can’t find a replacement then I need it on my Win10 partition.

You shouldn’t have any issue if you install it correctly. Shrink the Windows partition to the size you want. Use the current Windows efi and mount it as /boot/efi and flag as /boot when doing manual partition setup on the unallocated space. Keep the Fat32 file system on the Windows efi and do not format it. Create your other partitions and swap as required/needed or desired. You should be able to follow the rest of the install process and complete what is needed & then run the install. Take your time and watch what you are doing. Pay attention to detail so not to make any mistakes.

It’s a phishing question. There’s probably millions of these threads out there by now.

If you want to, then it’s a good idea.

Is it easier than only using Linux or Windows? No.

So I will be using msmg toolkit to debloat the Win10 iso down to the barebones os and not update it because I will only use apps that I know are secure and all other things will be done within EOS. If there are any problems windows update they are less likely to pop up here because I will not update it. I intend to have them have their 1/2 of the 512GB SSD each. If there are any tips on anything related to this then I would gladly accept them gratefully.

I would say there are so many vulnerabilities in windows, if you keep a copy, better to update it because they include security patches… I would probably put windows in a virtual machine to protect my computer if that is an issue. Assuming your program works efficiently in a vm.

To my understanding it’s more secure than install on bare metal but others may have better knowledge about this.

Even though I have 16GB of ram the VMs Still run slow even if I have open-vm-tools or virtualbox guest additions it is still slow even if i give it 12GB of ram so I need that performance for davinci resolve, overwatch and genshin impact.

I guess the best suggestion then would be to just leave Windows off then.

Another thing I forget, bit locker maybe need to be disabled? I am not 100% sure about that. But may make your life easier for dual boot situation. This needs to be disabled in settings in windows…

Oh yeah I have done this exact process before but with nobara and when I was researching, for some reason my drive was encrypted even though I have the home edition license for windows. After disabling a few settings here and there (like fastboot) I installed nobara and the dual boot was great but nobara still felt a bit janky to me.

1 Like

I would have had it installed by now. Windows or not. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.