Do I know better?

Hi All.

Opening this new thread, since it seems always tempting to many to engage in problem-solving threads (including myself here) with one’s personal opinions about what should be known by Linux users, or more refined: Arch Linux users, when running EnOS, or Arch Linux.

So:
Here is a space for any and all reasonings about things, that should be known first and foremost about Linux, and how to go about the much mentioned learning-curve in Linux, especially when coming from such “point-and-click adventures”, as MS-Windows, or OS-X / MacOS.

So, what are the things to go first when trying to learn Linux, acording to your opinion?

Someone said, learning to chroot first, someone else said, learning about systemd, and yet another one said, installing Arch, the Arch-Wiki way would be most important.

So, dear folks, what is your take on this?

Interested in learning from YOU ALL, I am.

1 Like

honka_animated-128px-49

5 Likes

The most important thing is to take a systematic approach. Gather information before providing answers, and don’t jump on top of someone else asking for that information.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Linux is very broad. For arch based distros I would say package management via terminal. Second thing is how to gather system information and how to post it on this forum so you can get help. The common mistake is just some frustration Blabla and some quick screenshots instead of posting relevant infos where we can help.

3 Likes

Me reading manual.

excel

clueless-no-idea

4 Likes

:question:

Install Linux? And use it…

5 Likes
  1. open a terminal
  2. type a command
  3. add an option to the command
  4. exit the bus
6 Likes

grafik

7 Likes

I refined my OP a bit, again! (Scroll up, pls. if you would.)

Was trying to seek some reasonings here about how y’all learned to be playing with it: Linux - in the first place, personally, and what you think is most important, when learning to do so.

:rofl:

I think most people who’ve posted have been using Linux for a while a don’t remember how they started using Linux. Being a relatively new Linux user, let me answer this for you. Here’s how I started learning Linux:

1. Install :enos:
  2. Mess with your system and get into trouble
  3. Open a forum thread about the issue
  4. Someone will solve the issue (or provide resources to help solve the issue)
  5. Rinse and Repeat

I assure you I’m not joking, you can check my topic/message history on this forum.
I think this is the best way of learning Linux, I had a lot of fun doing it this way.
:enos_flag:

7 Likes

Install EndeavourOS. Use it! Don’t try to configure every little thing going. Just enjoy the Endeavour. Read, follow the forum. Use the tools provided by the distro. Install software that is part of the eco system not some random stuff you find on the internet with google. Don’t ask 5 million questions until you know something. Look for answers in the forum, discovery and the wiki. Then ask if you can’t do it. Take your time. Don’t jump to conclusions. Provide information and logs if you ask for any help that is pertinent. Forget everything you think you know and learn on your own and from others. There are far too many people in the Linux world who think they know everything and they don’t. They only know what they know. Myself included. Use the terminal. Don’t look for GUI applications. Learn by doing. Learn by making mistakes and doing it over. Keep an open mind. Not all things are one way or the other. There are many different ways to approach a problem. Some are not necessarily the right way. Learning takes time. Have fun! If you get on the wrong bus. Get off! :laughing:

4 Likes

Rick, to use a US centric reasoning here. It IS possible to get to New York from Dallas by way of San Francisco. It is not the most direct route, but (if your car doesn’t break down), you’ll still arrive in New York, just a week later than the person who went directly.
So, I don’t think you can say some ways are wrong. Just they’re not as efficient as other ways to remedy a problem. Though, maybe I can agree that if you have a DNS problem (/etc/resolv.conf), perhaps you reason that systemd is causing a problem (it can) and remove systemd and replace with an init system that doesn’t keep overwriting your dns configuration lol. Oh…and I’ve been there (not to the point of replacing systemd). Both end up with a working dns configuration, though there might be some more direct methods of getting there lol.

I’m also relatively new and this very closely resembles my experience, Except my step(s) 3 was

• check the Endeavour forums to see if this is a widespread problem or if i broke it.
  • Search online
  • read through the arch wiki and askubuntu
  • find some ancient arcane post elsewhere that doesn’t quite solve my problem
  • find someone having the same issue on the Endeavour forums

Sometimes I only have to stop on the first step, but I often enough end up in some obscure forum elsewhere explaining just exactly how i borked it, but that’s probably because I’m looking at the arch wiki like Bitterhalt earlier in the thread.

7 Likes

I didn’t say they are wrong! I said and meant that not all ways lead to the correct solution sometimes even though you can do it that way. :innocent:

I’ll have one of those animal cookies! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Animal cookies for $100? Welcome to Jeopardy (yes being silly).