Is EndeavourOS detecting my AMD graphics cards?

I feel like it is not detecting my graphics card based on the tests I have done. It keeps detecting as Intel HD when I also have an AMD graphics card.

Performance

Also on Blender, with my model it became all glitchy. I had the same issue with Xubuntu, however with Linux mint and Windows 10 it renders fine so I am not too sure what is going on.

I ran this command lspci | grep VGA and I got the output as:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X]

Is there a way to determine if I am using the AMD graphics card as my primary graphics card?

What does inxi -Gxxxz show?

Have you tried disabling the intel graphics in your BIOS?

It shows this:

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte 
           driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0412 
           Device-2: AMD Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67b0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: intel,radeon FAILED: ati 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.7.9-xanmod1-1-xanmod LLVM 10.0.0) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.3 direct render: Yes

I should have mentioned that I am using a custom kernel but even with the vanilla kernel, the same issue occurs.

I haven’t but isn’t it better to have both these graphics cards enabled for even better performance?

Well, it doesn’t offer better PERFORMANCE having both enabled in a hybrid system. It offers the high performance of the discrete card while still getting the lower power draw of the IGP. The level of performance of the Intel IGP even if it was possible to use them in a hybrid Crossfire configuration, the IGP wouldn’t add sufficient performance to raise the overall metric any. Given that it looks like yours is a desktop and power draw (thus battery life) probably isn’t that important, I’d disable the IGP and run only on the AMD card.

Is the descrete card the AMD graphics card and the IGP is Intel graphics card, is that what you mean?

Ok I will give that a try and see if that works.

Ok so I tried what you have suggested, it does seem to detect AMD graphics card, but with one of my tests when I switched to Xanmod kernel, it actually performed better on Intel graphics rather than AMD graphics which is strange. Any idea why this is the case? (the first post was done with vanilla kernel)

performance

Performance

But it still has this glitchy effect in Blender. I am not too sure why this is still happening?

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: radeon 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67b0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: radeon FAILED: ati 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.7.9-xanmod1-1-xanmod LLVM 10.0.0) 
           v: 4.5 Mesa 20.1.3 direct render: Yes

Is something wrong with my setup? It says in this line kwin_x11 driver: radeon FAILED So maybe there is something wrong over here?

Maybe an issue with Blender?

So no idea on the blender side. For OpenArena, given that it’s getting nearly 400 fps with either, I think it comes down to the graphics being so non-taxing to the graphics subsystem that it’s being CPU constrained, not GPU, therefore the 2 results are within a mathematical rounding error of identical.

1 Like

Is your card the 390x? I think you should be using the amdgpu instead of radeon.

Edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Selecting_the_right_driver

Edit2: If you read through all this.

R9 390 series poor performance and/or instability

If you experience issues [5] with a AMD R9 390 series graphics card, set radeon.cik_support=0 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1 amdgpu.dc=1 as kernel parameters to force the use of amdgpu driver instead of radeon.

If it still does not work, try disabling DPM, by setting the kernel parameters to: radeon.cik_support=0 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.si_support=1

1 Like

Is this program pretty good for testing your system for gaming? I see it in the AUR. :smiley:

1 Like

Its the same issue with Xubuntu but on Linux Mint it ran fine so I am not too sure what it is.

Hmm not too sure I thought it was cross platform compatible so I thought it is good.

I will take a look at that post, thanks.

You may find a difference if it’s running with on amdgpu. Don’t really know.

As I found in the document I am supposed to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add MODULES=(amdgpu radeon) and run sudo mkinitcpio -p linux which I have now done.

I am now supposed to sudo vim into this file /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf and it says this:

For Southern Islands (SI) use option si_support=1 , for Sea Islands (CIK) use option cik_support=1 , e.g.:

I don’t know what my graphics card is, if it is Sea Islands or Southern Islands (no idea what that even means).

I did run the command lspci | grep VGA and this is the output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X].

Which card is it?

According to the box packaging the label is RADEON R9 290X DirectCU ll

Sea Islands i think.

Ok will give it a try thanks :slight_smile:

Hope it works.

1 Like