[not a bug]endeavourOS is glitchy with chromium-based browsers and unable to unlock partition when booting in normal mode

Last time when I had EndeavourOS installed, opera and brave worked fine. But I just downloaded the latest ISO and installed it and I am having issues with these two browsers.

I have tried to do a full system update, I tried to add these chromium flags

- ignore-gpu-blacklist
- enable-gpu-rasterization
- enable-oop-rasterization

still nothing, I tried to mess with the KDE compton settings and it didn’t make a difference.

I also tried to solve the AMDGPU issues that occurs with most Linux distros as found in this post.

I also tried to reinstall the OS.

Nothing seems to solve it. It seems to also be an issue when I tried it in live ISO and when I installed opera.

For the sake of testing out the issues. I downloaded Manjaro KDE edition and I installed opera in the live session and it worked fine without any glitches and without me having to change any settings.

The other issue I am having is that when I made my boot partition 200 MB instead of 90 MB in the last installation, for some reason when I boot into the normal mode then when it prompts me for a decryption key it does absolutely nothing, only it works in the fallback mode.

I’ve had both those browsers installed in the past and have to say neither really impresses me, I’ve been using Vivaldi and the Vivaldi-Snapshot for a few years now and just love them.

For me there is a reason why I use opera and brave, and if neither of them are working correctly, and it works fine on Manjaro but not on Endeavour, that means there is an issue with Endeavour.

What specific issues are you having with those two browsers?

Its very glitchy with web pages, and the browser itself.

This word has no specific meaning. You have only told us that it doesn’t work.

In order to help, we need to know, specifically, what exact issues are you seeing.

It would also be useful to know if you see the same issues with chromium from the repos.

4 Likes

I use chromium and have zero issues with it. You Tube, netflix (with widevine), and amazon all work fine.

1 Like

Just installed Brave to test here and it’s running completely perfect. Watching a Youtube video now.

1 Like

Could you launch them from a terminal to see if there are any errors ?
It would be a way of debugging …

It would also be useful to see some screenshots ?

I only use Chromium and it goes like silk in my 2 machines.

1 Like

Not necessarily! It can be an issue on your hardware! :wink:

Why would you use chrominum flags on opera and brave?

Kde does not use compton as it has its own compositor.

Start another thread.

3 Likes

My experience in the past when Vivaldi did have some issues was to install Chrome first then Vivaldi and it’s ffmpeg. That issue is a thing of the past, but who’s to say it hasn’t reared it’s head again for other chromium based browsers.

Personally I would go into .config under /hopme/(your username)/, into each browsers folder, save the default folder for each one which is your user folder, install Chrome, riun Chrome once, THEN reinstall Brave and Opera again, then replace the default folder under .config./brave and .config/opera with the ones you saved.

I would just use Firefox! :wink:

1 Like

No - it does not.

This is a system issue on your side. On pure Arch and EndeavourOS - I have absolutely no problems with Chromium - and I reckon the derivatives works mostly the same way.

I would go checking e.g. compositor settings and drivers. And every neck hair is raising on the mere mention of AMD - and my bias against AMD is screaming to come out - but I won’t let it.

1 Like

When I type on the address bar, it would be glitchy, as in the text for the suggestions would sort of like appear and disappear on the side as well as some pixels would show up away from the search suggestions, and on EndeavourOS forum page, like sometimes when I move my mouse you can see pixels around.

Tried it and same issue.

Are you doing this after installing the latest ISO? because with my previous installation with an up to date version of Opera and brave it was working just fine for me as well.

I will give that a try

Sure man.

Hardware acceleration never works without these flags but reglardess of the use of the flags or not it would have such issues.

Oh sorry I get mixed up with the terms.

This is how I feel with Nvidia. But life is strange. :beers:

2 Likes

The only issue i have with Chromium is the necessity to turn off hardware acceleration or you do get some graphic anomalies with my AMD when cursor rests in the task bar area. Even with those anomolies it still works fine. But i use Firefox anyway and always will. Chromium is just a back up on my system.

This doesn’t sound like an application issue to me. It sounds more like graphics drivers/configuration.

Turn off hardware acceleration most likely in the browser.

So here is the log

[3652:3652:0922/142050.755584:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(374)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[3854:1:0922/142050.882267:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[3868:1:0922/142050.893196:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[3927:1:0922/142052.163678:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[3941:1:0922/142053.123792:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[3626:3636:0922/142100.974207:ERROR:mcs_client.cc(706)]   Error code: 500  Error message: Cannot parse data.
[3626:3636:0922/142100.974277:ERROR:mcs_client.cc(708)] Failed to log in to GCM, resetting connection.
[4079:1:0922/142142.565036:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[4095:1:0922/142144.002593:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[4112:1:0922/142145.282947:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer
[4127:1:0922/142146.697824:ERROR:child_thread_impl.cc(806)] Receiver for unknown Channel-associated interface: search.mojom.SearchBouncer

and here is a screenshot of one of the glitches

Sure I can try an give that a try