Is EndeavourOS detecting my AMD graphics cards?

Ok so I sudo vim into /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf and just added this one line

options amdgpu cik_support=1

Then I sudo vim into /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf and added this:

options radeon cik_support=0

After running sudo mkinitcpio -p linux and rebooting the system. It seems to detect amdgpu and after running a benchmark test it is performing better and there is no glitchy related issues with Blender. However it seems to still fail when I run inxi -Gxxxz

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67b0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
           OpenGL: 
           renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (HAWAII DRM 3.37.0 5.7.9-xanmod1-1-xanmod LLVM 10.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.3 direct render: Yes

Not too sure why?

Edit: I just also ran sudo mkinitcpio -p linux-xanmod and rebooted the system. Still the same failed state after running inxi -Gxxxz (after reboot)

Graphics:  Device-1: AMD Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67b0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: amdgpu FAILED: ati 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz s-dpi: 96 
           OpenGL: 
           renderer: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (HAWAII DRM 3.37.0 5.7.9-xanmod1-1-xanmod LLVM 10.0.0) 
           v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.3 direct render: Yes

I think it means failed ati. It’s running amdgpu

1 Like

How do you figure it’s failing when you run inxi? It shows the amdgpu driver as the loaded driver, and because it loaded amdgpu, it prevented the (significantly older) ATI driver from loading, thus ATI is showing as failed.

2 Likes

Oh ok that’s good to know :slight_smile:

Did you look at the kernel parameters also?

Edit: You may not need any but just a point of reference.

I get it now, thanks for your help guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it in this file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf?

No on the boot. You have to add them to grub.

Edit: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_parameters

I thought this sudo mkinitcpio -p linux-xanmod adds it to boot though since I did end up booting with AMDGPU drivers? How do I check grub’s file?

edit: Let me check this file /etc/modprobe.d/

Does it work better on amdgpu?

I ran an ls -A command in /etc/modprobe.d/ and here is the list of directories

amdgpu.conf  radeon.conf

Edit: so I am not too sure where to find the boot grub files?

yes much better, the benchmark performance was better and no glitchy related issues anymore with Blender.

Okay… you may not need any parameters for booting as it’s working but just passing on info for you to look at in case. Have to hit the road now. Early day tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks mate. So I did find the file at /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I ran sudo cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg but I wouldn’t have a clue as to what the stuff inside the file means.

Have a nice night :slight_smile:

1 Like