Installation Roadblock and Uncertainties

try this:

1 Like

I think you can run the scrip from the EOS that you installed in the SD.

So boot from the SD with the EOS install you just did and then follow method 2 referred above (https://github.com/endeavouros-arm/images/tree/pine-eos)

Using dd from the SD to the eMMC to copy a system seems possible but trickier, according to this discussion: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=17084

Thank you, I appreciate you. :pray:

For warranty purposes, would you consider leaving the current eMMC with Manjaro as is and purchase a new eMMC for experimenting with EnOS?

Pudge

First I just wanna say I cant believe its all working now, and it wouldnt of happened without everyone in this thread. I am so happy! :nerd_face:

That being said, I had not considered that I’d void the warranty. I think I will keep eMMC w/ Manajro intact for now, and will search for a compatible pine64 community recommended eMMC from the pine64 wiki device list as mentioned earlier in this thread.

I also have some larger microSD cards I could use, would there be any downside to permanently running from larger microSD? Either way I think I will order a larger eMMC to install just for the experience.

Few more questions, would the new eMMC i purchase be replacing the one inside with Manjaro? and then I would just keep the old in case of need for warranty? Am I better off leaving it alone and run from the microSD?

Thanks!

P.S.
I hope to write a little blog post about my experience installing EOS on the Pinebook Pro and try to articulate the process for others who might need help. I learned a lot in the last 72 hrs and I owe it all to everyone in this thread. @sradjoker @Pudge @MrToddarama @lxnauta Thank you all for your help and patience. Much love!

2 Likes

How large the storage device is doesn’t have any downsize as far as performance, etc. Actually the bigger the better. Not only does a larger uSD card or eMMC card give you more storage for apps and files, it makes the storage device last longer. Every cell in Flash storage has a finite number of times it can be written to. TRIM and other methods distribute the writes between unused cells to even out the number of writes. The more unused memory that is available means a larger amount of memory to spread the writes over. Hope that makes sense.

The main difference is eMMC has much faster read and write times than the uSD card.
eMMC memory = faster
uSD = slower

I don’t have a PHP so I can’t really help on that issue. @sradjoker or @lxnauta could be of more help. Looking at the Pine 64 website, it offers both eMMC modules uSD cards for the PHP. Since they sell them direct they should definitely be compatible. Depending on where you live, it might be slower to ship to you.

Pudge

1 Like

@sradjoker I bought a new larger MicroSD (SanDisk Ultra 128GB, chose one from the pine64wiki list) and am trying to run the script like I was able to do successfully on the smaller one, however Im encountering some errors.

Untarring the image...takes 4 to 5 minutes.
pv: enosLinuxARM-pbp-latest.tar.zst: No such file or directory
zstd: /*stdin*\: unexpected end of file 

syncing files...takes 4 to 5 minutes.
mv: cannot stat 'MP2/boot/*': No such file or directory
dd: failed to open 'MP1/Tow-Boot.noenv.bin': No such file or directory

In /etc/fstab and /boot/cmdline.txt changing Disk labels to UUID numbers.
mv: cannot stat 'MP2/etc/fstab': No such file or directory
./image-install-calamares.sh: line 82: MP2/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
./image-install-calamares.sh: line 83: MP2/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
./image-install-calamares.sh: line 84: MP2/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
./image-install-calamares.sh: line 85: MP2/etc/fstab: No such file or directory
grep: MP1/extlinux/extlinux.conf: No such file or directory
sed: can't read MP1/extlinux/extlinux.conf: No such file or directory

Almost done! Just a couple of minutes more for the last step.

rm: cannot remove 'enosLinuxARM*': No such file or directory

End of script!

Any idea what could be causing these errors?

Thanks!

We’ve moved the pinebook pro images to a new repo:

Thanks for the reply, script worked from the new repo. Thanks! Currently experiencing the calamares installer failing to initiate the DE set up. Will give it another shit later today when I get another chance.

Can you send the install logs using eos-log-tool.

I hope I did this correct lol

https://clbin.com/Oz2mo

Edit Mirror button seems to work. But the Regular and Community Install buttons arent opening the installer…

Reboot and try again. I can see the install logs.

Ive rebooted a couple times and the installer still doesnt work.

Or did you mean reboot and resend the logs??

I have checked the stage where your install is failing. It is initializing the pacman keyring and updating your system. I’ve tried that on my system and there is no issue. I don’t see a reason why the install should fail.

I think I know what is the error is. I probably will have to push a new image. The boost-libs got an update, but I didn’t update calamares.

ok cool, where can I check in to see when the new image has been posted? Obviously no rush hahaha, just curious so I can try again.

Maybe later today. I’ll inform you. But I still don’t know if that’s the main issue.
We need to push the package to the mirrors too.

Roger that, and as always I appreciate you and your time. Thanks for the speedy responses too. This community rocks!

New image is up, give it a try. You can run the same script again.

Report back the findings if you can. :smiley:

2 Likes

Just got a chance to retry. Re-imaged the microsd and the calamares installer was now working properly…however, for some reason I dont even have Wifi as a network option now, only VPN. So I’m unable to continue with the installation. Weird because the Wifi was not an issue the first time I successfully installed on my 32GB card.