In 2021 What DE are you using or switching to?

Yeah my next project is to replace raspbian on my pihole, EnOS Sway might just be the way to go.

3 Likes

I’ll be sticking with Plasma as my main DE, and Cinnamon as my 2nd.

2 Likes

I am sticking with Plasma. No other DE offers this level of customization

3 Likes

I’m back on Plasma myself, from Xfce. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Full stop gnome. I love workspaces. Gnome loves workspaces. Thus I love Gnome.

Gnome 40 looks really sick. The touch pad gestures are really well integrated.

5 Likes

Lolz Full stop KDE - I can have separately set up Activities and the option to limit certain apps from opening except in their specified workspace preset to be tiled or floating, clean desktop or icons/Documents folder on desktop etc. What’s better about workspaces?

1 Like

I don’t have to set it up. It works out of the box and doesn’t have animation issues when rendering 24 px app icons or create ghost apps in the app grid. Doesn’t help when you can’t change touch pad gesutres in Wayland either and how poorly they are integreated.

I haven’t had these issues yet.

Your experiences are your experiences and mine are mine. Plasma has been one of the most inconsistent, buggiest desktops I have ever used period(yes worse than vista). Maybe I as unlucky, maybe I screwed something up. But that’s my experience and I’m sticking to what ‘just works’.
This is especially true for dual linguistics. Asian input methods in Linux just sucks. Gnome seemingly is the only desktop that properly integrates it out of the box with almost no setup required.

But hey. Let’s stop this here. We have a lot more things to worry about than DE wars.
GME TO THE MOON

2 Likes

If you are using plasma on Wayland maybe. But on X11 no! Not even close! Plasma is extremely fast and utterly awesome. It’s one of my favorites although i do like Xfce, Cinnamon and Mate. Not so much Gnome. Reminds me of Ubuntu! :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

Not really, I’ve only had three wayland specific bugs

1. On-screen keyboard appearing when alt + tabbing. Fixed apparently
  2. Touchpad scroll having different orientations depending on the app. (natural on some, and not on others). Not fixed when I checked last week.
  3. 4 finger touchpad gestures interfering with my own custom ones. Still no resolution to fixing this.

Other than the rest of my issues
Discover crashing, icon 24 px not scaling properly on the panel, vsync causing OBS recordings to stutter crazy, having to configure ibus manually, localization for Korean is extremely poor, KDE system monitor reporting less ram than usual(a bug since 2014 and still isn’t fixed, the main reason why people think KDE is light, it’s not), app top bar icons not displaying properly(an issue I had recently while on the forums), KDE delaying system shut down for some reason(some times for hours at a time),etc were mostly universal on all my KDE installs.

I used to fantasize about KDE in the past. I begrudgingly kept going, convincing myself that the customization was worth the trouble, but as it turns out, I value stability and usability over looks. It’s why I left it for Pantheon, Deepin, Cinnamon, and Gnome.

We all love to meme about Ubuntu and how snaps are the reincarnation of Satan, but in reality, Canonical has brought more people to Linux desktop than any other company or organization ever. They really were one of the first communities to actually improve the Linux experience for noobs and everyday computer users, while the Debian guys are still stuck with the ASS installer, Fedora insisting on the only OSS, and Arch being Arch. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Ubuntu and Pop

Finally, if you confuse Ubuntu’s Unity configuration for Gnome, then you probably haven’t used either for a reasonable amount of time.

Just to be clear here, not offense taken or intended. This is Linux. You use what you want and that’s it. I’m perfectly glad that you had a great experience with KDE, I just ask that you return the favor as well.

I don’t care about anything to do with Ubuntu never did. To me they are just another Linux. This isn’t about any meme’s. Ubuntu doesn’t do anything for me. I don’t care for snaps. I don’t like Canonical as a company for my own reasons. Sure Ubuntu is okay. It’s just not for me and Ubuntu has always been Gnome. I love Solus Budgie and Solus Gnome because their setup is more appealing to me. But Ubuntu Gnome isn’t. To each their own.

Not really. They used to use Unity, now they use a heavily modifyed version of gnome that looks and feels like Unity

I smell an inconsistency here
:thinking:

Ok but seriously. Lets drop this discussion here. It only spirals down to drama.

It’s not inconsistent at all. I said i Love Solus Budgie and Solus Gnome because of the way they have it set up is more appealing to me. Ubuntu Gnome is not. There’s nothing more to it than that. I just like the Solus implementation better. There is no drama! Ubuntu is not my thing. Nothing more to it than that.

2 Likes

Nah. I just think its funny to disect peoples words to make it mean something they might not have originally met.

Not so much Gnome. Reminds me of Ubuntu.

Which implys one doesn’t like Gnome because it reminds them of Ubuntu.

I love Solus Budgie and Solus Gnome because their setup is more appealing to me. But Ubuntu Gnome isn’t.

Which means one likes stock gnome, but not Ubuntu’s spin of Gnome.

Or, it could mean that he dislikes Ubuntu, and it happened to be a Gnome version of Ubuntu he used. Different for others of us - MY memories of Gnome are more centred around Unity, and Beryl/Compiz (the inspiration for KWin’s wobbly windows and MASgic Lamo etc) than Gnome, which they left as the ‘main’ track back around 2010 or 2011. The last 2 or 3 years have been the impetus behind my (mostly) abandoning even Xubuntu - It became harder to use, even with Synaptic…

As for the purported subject of the thread - I’ll be sticking to XFCE as long as I can (as long as I can avoid CSD, at least) - with Cinnamon as plan B if needed. Cinnamon is not bad, but much harder to theme happily than XFCE is (especially on hi-dpi, strangely enough, despite Cinnamon having better/simpler scaling options).

1 Like

Solus comes with a near-stock gnome experience. which is why I said stock. nothing more nothing less.

1 Like

It maybe better to use Deepin, rather than Solus Budgie, as the Budgie DE interfaces are more or less a copy of Deepin, and Deepin DE is getting developments continuously, while Budgie DE stays at 10.5, since its creator left suddenly. Budgie DE would move to version 10.5.1, 10.5.2 etc, never moving on to version 11. (I am not bashing any distro/DE, by the way.)

But, I won’t be using Deepin, quite happy with EOS KDE Plasma. :grinning:
But, will have a look at Solus KDE Plasma live.

EDIT: tried Solus KDE Plasma live few minutes ago. Apps doesn’t work.

Sticking to i3. Been pleased with it since 2014.

2 Likes

How are window managers these days? Tried Open box like a year ago and I could not get used to it XD