In 2021 What DE are you using or switching to?

And, like a bad penny; I"m back. :grin: I was away from EndeavourOS because I had to be, but those days are gone. I tried out Xfce the other day. It’s very good, but I have to say I’m not a big fan of the 4.16 version as much as I like 4.14. That’s not EndeavourOS’ fault, though. I still have it on a partition. For fun, I decided to experiment with Gnome 40 with Wayland. Dang! It’s awesome on my aging equipment! This is the first time I’ve been able to get Wayland to work on my laptop without some weird crap going on. I also like what Gnome 40’s been developed into. I grew up with a keyboard-centric system, and although you can’t compare the two for appearances I really like what Gnome’s doing in this regard. I’ve tried i3, but for some reason, it just doesn’t work for my way of thinking and work flow. EndeavourOS has knocked it out of the park with Gnome 40, though! Easy to install, setup, and use! I love it! Everything…I mean everything works perfectly out of the box. Thanks everyone! And, it’s good to be back in Arch with a Distro I’ve always liked.

6 Likes

As only one of the changes was in a negative direction (CSD) in my estimation, perhaps you weren’t aware that a couple of alternative ‘fixes’ are available to return 4.16 to usability? In particular aur/libxfce4ui-nocsd and aur/gtk3-nocsd-git have both shown they can remove that counter-workflow (and ugly!) change from XFCE.

Just so you know - YMMV…

3 Likes

Thanks! I wasn’t aware of that. I’ll take care of that later today just in case I hose my Gnome install. :grin:

1 Like

why not a pencil? (pen & paper?

Quill, ink well & vellum?

… and sleeve protectors! :point_up_2:t2:

1 Like

Nice, thanks!

To be honest, I’m in a DElemma, I have no idea what to use.

• Gnome - don’t like 40.
  • KDE - sure! what I’m using right now. however, I do have to say that while it feels super-slick, when you have lots of windows open, things start to feel a bit sluggish.
  • XFCE - excellent, not a single issue with the tried and true.
  • MATE - it’s a nice desktop, but XFCE can do everything it does and in my experience MATE crashes more often, perhaps because I try to bend it too much, so i’ll stick with XFCE there.
  • LXDE/LXQT - also not my cup of tea; not enough features, prefer XFCE
  • Budgie - awesome, just waiting for some bugs with the Gnome 40 stack to be ironed out. Does work fine, but feels a bit limiting as far as customization goes.
  • Cinnamon - looks excellent, and is snappy. but it’s also not my cup of tea, because a couple small things bother me (like, not being able to have caps lock and super be interchangable via setxkbmap -option caps:super - behaves wonkily, and the Expo view not feeling very smooth, and some issues with the menu, etc etc)

I guess a real nitpicker I am. I’m thinking of just rewriting Dwm in Go or Rust (of course :wink: ), then making all sorts of modifications.

3 Likes

Too many open Windows … sometimes you get draft! :grin:

8 Likes

I’ll go open some, in that case :wink:

1 Like

I like Xfce, Plasma, Mate, Cinnamon not in that specific order. I’m using plasma still, but the Xfce/i3 tutorial that @fbodymechanic posted sure is tempting. :thinking:

1 Like

Been trying XFCE with Kwin. Kind of a pain to set up, but the end result is very polished. You get the simplicity of xfce, but the buttery smooth Kwin animations. Will go ahead and install on my daily driver.

1 Like

i am just go back to my sweet i3wm again :crazy_face:
from i3wm to bspwm to again i3wm only because i miss i3wm :grin:

1 Like

hammer and chisel?

2 Likes

Well I left Plasma behind for EOS “Bender DE.” Thanks to @fbodymechanic tutorial here https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/easy-setup-endeavour-xfce-i3-tiling-window-manager/13171 A slight hiccup with the new Thunar crashing, no worries PCManFM to the rescue and all is good! Thanks @fbodymechanic ! :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

4 Likes

@freebird54 know some time has gone by, but I wanted to thank you for this tip! I buggered up my Gnome and decided to go with Xfce again. Gnome was very good! But, with the changes you mentioned by using aur/libxfce4ui-nocsd and aur/gtk3-nocsd-git, I like the appearnce of the Xfce 4.16 much better, now! Thanks again

2 Likes

image… what else? :wink:

2 Likes

Since my newly updated main machine somehow refuses to agree with EOS I went, with a heavy heart, back to Manjaro. :frowning: All my other computers are still humming along on Endeavour quite happily.

1 Like

Sounds odd, to say the least. Oh well - enjoy what you can! Going green isn’t the end of the world - and you can stick around here regardless!

5 Likes

Still an avid DE hopper. using xfce with xfwm4 now. pondering cinnamon or budgie, or going back to qtile…

1 Like