I'm amazed by Deepin

Yes, but you might get a few conflicting packages depending on what desktop environment you already have. You might also want to enable Lightdm since it’s the recommended login manager for Deepin.

Out of curiosity, for those who are running Deepin, do you use the deepin-mutter or deepin-kwin?

At the moment I am using deepin-wm. I have used deepin-kwin in the past but it wasn’t very polished. Not sure how it fares currently. If someone does try it you may also need to install system-settings. There were a few bugs that needed this package to correct.

1 Like

Ah, so there’s actually three options. Interesting…thanks for the info!

1 Like

Might just wipe my / again.
The benefit of a separate home folder.

We do not enable Bluetooth per default:
https://endeavouros.com/docs/hardware-and-network/bluetooth/

3 Likes

Interestingly it seems they have, just like Budgie, moved away from settings in the side bar. In the V20 Beta all settings are opening up in old fashioned control center windows like all the other DE’s.

Edit: Sadly to say watching videos about the new version makes me far less eager to install it; just like with Budgie they have removed basically everything that makes it special and it really looks like a Gnome clone with a cooler panel.

Edit edit: That’s a bit harsh, but yeah… part of it I guess is that it is now part of the unified desktop that China will replace Windows with, eventually. So they have to look more… mainstream?

1 Like

I agree with you, it looks like they’re trying to come closer to elementary. They threw away their identity, that’s a pity.

1 Like

That would make sense. Pretty typical of any corporate/patron pressure.

1 Like

@ricklinux

The official ISO hasn’t been released yet ~ Still in beta development stage …

Rumors are the final version should be released later this week or early next week.

1 Like

I think I will install it tonight nevertheless.

the next ISO will be in February

My 0.14 Yuan:

Deepin is one of those Desktop Environments that I want to like, but somehow can’t.

It looks really nice out of the box. However, it just doesn’t quite fit my workflow/preferences as well as KDE Plasma does.

I may give it another shot if and when the V20 version hits the arch repositories, though.

2 Likes

https://peertube.mastodon.host/videos/watch/230457b7-ebd2-4058-a23b-24d08201a9e3?fbclid=IwAR0tnbQLY9f0en0JOTOykltvopXSqIAUxL2ZsuZC5uAhEZy9_fh4rTgJwnI

Not to be negative but 95% of those users don’t care and will run on w7 until they get a new computer with W10.

Btw 13% of the users who still run w7 has never updated, but run the same version as they installed 2009.
That’s why MS made updates mandatory in W10.

2 Likes

already on linux how many people update

I tried to install it in a virtual environment, but it required 64 Gigs of space. I have a couple days off and a spare hard drive I might give it a spin on the desktop.

Well, this was disappointing.
I installed it about 30 minutes ago and it is… not enjoying NVIDIA. It is stuttering, feeling sluggish, and I get tears in videos.

It was fine before installing the NVIDIA drivers, but it is also weird that this DE so far is by far the worst DE I have tried with my setup. It truly feels like I am taxing the system, but it is hovering at 5% memory use and 2% CPU usage and 0% Swap. So I know it’s NOT, it just feels like it does.

Edit:
Well, that explains that. I unchecked Windows Effects and cannot re-enable them. So it is obvious it cannot utilize the NVIDIA card despite the drivers being installed.

Edit again:
Huh. After a SECOND reboot, it suddenly let me enable effects AND runs them smoothly.

so deepin won how much point

Well it is gorgeous. But it also fel a little… off. Even with the working NVIDIA drivers. Just like Plasma does for me.

We’ll see if I keep it. I might just roll back to my Xfce system, after all that’s what timeshift is for.

here I test cinnamon and with netinstall it’s a breeze

2 Likes