I'm amazed by Deepin

Ok @Bryanpwo,

Here is a journalctl -p 3 -xb from a fresh metal install.

-- Logs begin at Fri 2020-01-03 16:43:59 EST, end at Fri 2020-01-03 16:54:52 EST. --
Jan 03 16:44:00 elloquin-pc kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
Jan 03 16:44:00 elloquin-pc kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jan 03 16:44:00 elloquin-pc kernel: sp5100-tco sp5100-tco: Watchdog hardware is disabled
Jan 03 16:44:19 elloquin-pc lightdm[953]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Jan 03 16:44:21 elloquin-pc daemon/bluetooth[1082]: bluetooth.go:245: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .servi>
                                                      ->  bluetooth.go:218
                                                      ->  asm_amd64.s:1337

The first two are deepin thinking the ssd is a removable device.
The third is on all my arch/arch based installs and can be safely blacklisted.
The fourth is very old and the best information I could find was to just ignore it. I did have it once on my arch plasma install and realized by not adding gnome keyring that error disappeared.
The fifth is a newer addition to the norm. I have no bluetooth devices and I havent gotten to figuring out what to do with that one.

Deepin is indeed a promising and elegant DE, and it is installed on one of my machines. Although I confess, I rarely start it. At first glance, it looks a bit like MacOs.

To me, Deepin tends to seem more buggy on Arch/Arch-based distros than Debian-based. I still think it’s strange that there’s no official Deepin package for a vanilla Debian install.

That was for me the initial reason to give it a spin two years ago, having used Macs for fifteen years. But when you switch to efficient mode it behaves more like Windows with more bling. It is a great distro for laptops, notebooks with a touchscreen, though.

That is absolutely true. I wasn’t aware of the lack of a Deepin DE for vanilla Debian,

linux-zen linux-zen-headers run well on deepin.

DeepinScreenshot_20200105174234

1 Like

I ran Linux-zen a couple of years ago and in the beginning I thought it was more responsive but when I switched back to the mainstream kernel I didn’t notice the difference.
I still haven’t figured it out if zen is a placebo effect or not.

3 Likes

Has anyone else tried the new Deepin v20 Beta UOS release. I have it installed on a separate partition (dual boot) with Endeavour.
I must say I’m impressed it installed and runs flawless.

How do you download it from there? I don’t see any ISO?

1 Like

Curious about testing it. Of course I just got my Xfce install the way I like it…

China spyware :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

That has never been proven.

3 Likes

Yes, but I’m sure… Huawei with 5G remember? How many problems?? + a lot of China hackers :see_no_evil::grimacing:

hello,go like screaming wolf with wifi 6

Please read some more info, before making assumptions and generalizing every project coming from a certain country.

This is rude and discriminating and we don’t appreciate this kind of expression on this forum.

9 Likes

Sorry :neutral_face:, forget what I said…

But was my opinion.

2 Likes

What a great community, love EndeavourOS :wink:

2 Likes

Is it just deepin and deepin-extra to install for Deepin?

I am not at my machine right now so this is from memory but I believe the net installer is deepin deepin-extra light dm light dm greeter and one other light dm package.

1 Like

@Tiger I have similar opinions of Deepin and Huawei, but in this forum I remain silent. (mostly).

1 Like

you’re off topic, thanks