I'm amazed by Deepin

I really like Cinnamon. Xfce and Cinnamon are my two favorite DEs to date.

Anyway, I find Deepin quite buggy. I switched to dark theme and then could not switch back until after I rebooted, but then I got an error message at boot that a config file could not be written to.

I also find it insists that Cantarell is the font, although noto sans is selected and indeed visually is the one used.

I do know Manjaro is no longer offering a Deepin option because it was too buggy, but it seems to be very sensitive to your hardware. For some people it just runs perfect. Not for me, tho. :frowning:

3 Likes

Does deeping scale well for 4K displays? KDE and GNOME don’t work right with my 4K TV. 4K 60Hz works only momentarily, black screen after wake or reboot. 1080p scaling is off and part of the UI gets cut off.

Budgie works great, but it’s lacking some features I really like in GNOME. If I want an OS that looks just like macOS I’d rather use KDE. For TV use GNOME is still the best imo.

hello,what is your graphics card

I agree Xfce and Cinnamon are also my favorites. On Cinnamon I just turn off window effects otherwise the welcome screen has issues with losing parts and going transparent. If you turn off this setting in effects it’s no problem. Also on Cinnamon i right click the show desktop and configure, peek to show desktop.

On Deepin i had an issue with Nvidia once. I reinstalled again after and did not choose the nvidia in the online list. I used nvidia-installer-dkms after the installation and it was perfect. The prior install i was getting distortion at the top of the screen for some unknown reason.

Ok, running it for about 8 hours and I both love it and is very annoyed by it.

Oh well, interesting experiment!

1 Like

After a couple of days, I also have mixed feelings of it. I don’t know if it is me being set in my ways or Deepin. I keep on going with this challenge for a couple of days.

2 Likes

I totally agree. Tried it for a few days and it looked gorgeous, the fonts, the icons and the scaling. But some things just didn’t work well. No real show-stopper but many little annoyances that bugs me.

5 Likes

Com’on guys, just have a consensus: are we installing deepin or staying at gnome :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :partying_face:

3 Likes

Sadly I have to go back to either Cinnamon or Xfce. Another odd bug that just popped up: today when booting Deepin it just didn’t recognize that my headphones were plugged in.

I’m sticking with Cinnamon. No issues…always works. Xfce is my second choice. Deepin is just eye candy!

3 Likes

Deepin looks great on my 4K desktop, straight from the install

The same with me. In the end I decided I couldn’t really tell but also wanted to avoid future troubles coming from non-default kernel and software compatibility or new packages not being synced right away with the zen-kernel.

2 Likes

The same goes for me, and I was made aware of that during my first wobbly Arch steps. I clearly didn’t know what I was doing, as I thought everything just would work no matter what I did to the system.

I still don’t know what I’m doing, but atleast I know that I don’t know what I’m doing now. :relaxed: :sweat_smile: :wink:

5 Likes

In my opinion, Deepin is the desktop environment that is most reminiscent of Windows, so it gives the newcomers to Linux the most similar user experience.

I don’t entirely agree with that. The unique point they have, which I hope won’t get lost in version 20, is that with fashion mode they appeal to Mac users and with efficient mode to Windows users.
You can achieve that look through a lot of costomization with the other DEs but Deepin does (and hopefuly are going to maintain it) that litterally with a simple click.
That’s a feature that makes them different.

3 Likes

A thing I noticed during my long DE-hopping is that there is no DE without glitches or small bugs and annoyances. This is my experience. I have yet to find one that doesn’t glitch out, or has missing essential (what is essential might be subjective) settings.

I’m using a laptop with external monitor attached and a Wacom graphical tablet as mouse replacement. A lot of the troubles arise from this setup and the fact that I connect and disconnect the external display sometimes.

I’m currently using XFCE, and I occasionally (it’s very rare, but it happens) have to reset the DE because it freezes or the panel stops drawing buttons and windows correctly. I have created a keyboard shorcut for xfce4-panel -r && xfwm4 --replace to use on such occasions.

What I’m saying is that I’m not sure there’s ever going to be a perfectly working DE, given the multitude of packages (and maintainers) that a DE has to accommodate when deployed on top of one of the multitude of available distros and the speed with which these packages evolve and continuously change.

That said, the fact that Xiaomi has their hands in Deepin makes me cautious regarding it.

Let’s put it this way: Xfce and Cinnamon has never been glitchier than Windows for me. All other DEs have.

Hmm to me Windows feels bulletproof. No seams to be seen, no glitches anywhere. I’m talking daily use: launching programs, exploring files and starting, restarting, suspending, hybernating system, not tinkering with some obscure settings somewhere.
I mean it costs a lot and is being used by more than 500 million people. They darn well make sure it’s not glitchy. Sure the neverending update prompts and the lack of possibility to postpone them in the ‘Home’ version and the fact that for some reason they cannot be done in the background are annoying as ****. That and the offensive telemetry make the OS undesirable from my point of view, but if one thing it’s not that’s unstable.

Windows is registry hell. Feels like it’s still just layers built on Windows 95. And it kinda is. :smiley:

2 Likes

Good day guys. I’m new to EOS and I’m impressed by this distro. Got tired of KDE and installed DDE (which other distros dropped support, atm). The only kink was the network manager. Got it resolved by browsing online and implemented it. I hope future online installation of this OS will support DDE (got stuck during installation, have to use offline mode, XFCE DE then dl’ed and installed DDE; EOS support page was great help, easy to understand).

More power to the Devs and Contributors of this OS. Looking forward to a wonderful distro.

DeepinScreenshot_20200119192115