Ideas and discussion on the future of the forum

7 Minutes? :scream: Iā€™m struggling for half that! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

True, but they can only waste your time if you give it to them voluntarily. Itā€™s up to you to decide who is worthy of your time.

5 Likes

Yes, but you got 30% of Canadaā€™s bandwidth coming into your house. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I just did Bspwm on v-box in half that time. :rofl:
Edit: I was thinking of cranking up my speed so i could do less than 3 minutes but is expensive.

2 Likes

Best part is i donā€™t get any failed installs either.

Screenshot_20211201_101818

Edit: My motto is hardwareā€¦hardwareā€¦hardware. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes that is true. But they can still likely waste yours or someone else who doesnā€™t realize their time is being wasted. I value everyoneā€™s time equally.

1 Like

A 5 litre can of beer or some bottles of good dry red wine will do. :wink:

3 Likes

The fluff is fine - it just needs a bit of leavening perhapsā€¦

It seems to me that an emphasis on the wikiā€™s existence could be increased - perhaps pointing to a Wiki entry on how to get help easily on our forums! That way we get improvement (hopefully) with only one modded slide (and a how-to on the Wiki)ā€¦

More detail if requestedā€¦ :grin:

More detail

The wiki entry could include a ā€˜formā€™ to be filled out as a template for a help request example, for instanceā€¦ or a couple of example ā€˜postsā€™ done up as OK, and excellentā€¦ orā€¦

Most of the time, it might not even be necessary to use a search engine. The forum itself provides a very good search function. A lot of people donā€™t care, if acceptable or not. Iā€™ve been experiencing this in a german forum, where Iā€™ve been a moderator for a few years. A lot of those even donā€™t care, if they are told to get rid of this laziness. Iā€™m not stating, that this is always the underlying attitude. There might indeed be some people, who donā€™t have any experience at all in how to search correctly. Sometimes itā€™s hard to tell the difference and the more you experience this kind of ā€œexploitationā€ and the higher your level of frustration gets, the higher the risk, that youā€™re overreacting yourself, or you start answering inappropriately. This challenge can only be mastered, if all members work together and indeed set up kind of a guideline.

Only my 2 cent

3 Likes

I have bookmarked this and will start using this regularly.

I love and Iā€™m very excited to have new users eager to learn Linux. I just donā€™t want our welcoming of everyone to turn is into complete pushovers and a door mat. I donā€™t want to imply we lead off with ā€œhey youā€™re a help vampire.ā€. We need to have more tact than that.

Iā€™ve seen this scenario happen before. We need to be proactive so it doesnā€™t happen again, other it will eventually. Burn out is a real thing.

I think some of what I said was taken to overly literal. As someone who manages a pretty big crew and anticipates possible future problems, Iā€™m always trying to stay ahead of them. @nate Iā€™m not going to find people who make one post. But when we have someone making 4-15 posts in a week of either run around never ending questions or very easily to find searchable setting based questions, they may just not realize it. Weā€™ve done a hell of a job getting to where we are, but the top can be a very tough place to be. This Endeavour is quite aptly named and it will take more team work going forward, and I think thereā€™s a solid group that has gotten us here and preparing for more help and helping each other not burn out will increase the longevity of everyone.

Even the greatest ships can be lost to the sea if not for the valent efforts and preparation of the crew at hand.

2 Likes

In all seriousness - i believe we shouldnā€™t change anything at all, weā€™re doing pretty damn good.

:enos_flag:

And attempts for more control / herding only would lead to worse results, exactly as it was with forum of some known green distribution :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

As I say after a big change on our servers. Will see what happens.

We have a wiki link on the forum, Reddit and the websites (ARM included) Discovery has a higher visit rate than the website. So, I do know that a lot of people find their way to it.

Iā€™m not saying that your idea is a bad idea, but you have to keep in mind that there are a lot of people out there who just ask without searching, no matter if we have a big red blinking banner that leads to that info.

You all are amazing by helping people, but it has been said before, YOU can choose whether you want to help someone.

Two and a half years ago we started this project with four founders, one of us, Fernando, has left, just because he couldnā€™t combine it with his real life.
People come and go in the Linux world and I think for a project like this weā€™re doing a very good job. If a member is too much for you, take a step back, breathe and always take care of yourself.
This is the only way we can maintain this friendly vibe over here. :heart:

6 Likes

Could you elaborate?

Personally I prefer open, welcoming and friendly forums with a minimum of rules and a minimum of moderation.
If you donā€™t like a topic or the way a topic takes, just ignore it. If you think a question could be solved by duckduckgoing the question then either tell the user, provide a simple link or just ignore the question. Donā€™t be rude, donā€™t be offensive. If you want to help then do so.
I really donā€™t see a problem here and I like the forum as it is.

Just my 2 cents :moneybag:

2 Likes

Having canned responses for common mistakes made in forum posts(no hardware information, etc)could help improve the efficiency of the forum and reduce burnout.

Adding clear instructions on how get involved in the forum, responding to help requests, and bug reports would lower the barrier for entry.

1 Like

There is one and it is pinned on top of the forum

Welcome on the forum BTW.

Personally i would like to see a user post their issue short and to the point and say and here is my hardware output.

inxi -FAZ --no-host | eos-sendlog
5 Likes

I have added it to the post.

2 Likes

Emphasis on the ā€œWill seeā€ who knows what the future holds for enos. Letā€™s face it as it comes. And the other thing Iā€™ve thrown out what I think about the new user and what should be a good idea to do to improve the posting quality.

Itā€™s up to the high table to decide what to do with the ideas. I just see no point going back and forth now in this thread.

As I said if it becomes worse high table knows what to do because we said it here now and help in the way we can. Thatā€™s all we can do.