I don’t know how I ended up with Endeavour OS

Hi everyone, just been using EnOS for about 3 weeks and it is stable! Let me explain… I’m sort of an Arch newbie :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use linux at work and have been doing so 100% for about 6 years now. I am a researcher.

I stopped distro hoping after a while using ubuntu then manjaro. However, I moved to a rural place recently where internet is bloody slow and unstable (I am talkin from 200Mb/s to 5Mb/s). I therefore tried to find a distro that does not require too many resources and hoped for less frequent updates. I went literally trough a distro and desktop hoping session odyssey:

Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu, PopOS, Debian, Arch, Mint, Fedora 33, then back to manjaro. :wink:

I am not going to rant, each of these distro is great but was missing something or had something that annoyed me for productive workflow, or I broke something.

Then I saw the light! I recalled having used Antergos, a way to easily install Arch on several computers with ease, minimal but not too minimal. I used this distro for few months but then it broke during an update, then I realized Arch may be too complex for me. Fast forward few years later.

There I was, I read few articles about Endeavor OS. Tried it, I was intrigued, simplistic, stable and the welcome menu prompted me to dive a bit more into the terminal. I was excited somewhat, but a bit scared using it for work, would it be stable enough? Would I need to constantly update this rolling release distro?

To conclude, I am absolutely impressed, I think I found what I was looking for! It still works, its stable, its fast, I can install all research programs I need, even some necessary programs to collaborate (zoom…), I had absolutely no crashes, what a blast! And to go back to the beginning of the story, I update about twice a week, and the updates are not that large. Who would have thought I would end up with a rolling release distro…

Congratulation to the Endeavor OS team, super distro! I also noted that The forum is translated in many languages and super friendly. Cheers!
:+1:

19 Likes

Welcome @Zircon34

1 Like

Welcome :partying_face: :balloon: :tada:

1 Like

I’m on old copper phone lines here. Had similar problems for 2 yrs. Must have talked to every service tec in my district. They all went down the check list from inside my house to the pole and they replaced every piece of wire that was theirs.
No joy packets were still being dropped at varying rates. So when the last tec started at the top of his check list I stoped him. “I’ve been to this rodeo before…” (listed tecs before him). Then I said the magic words, "put me on a different pair, or I’m calling the PRC(Public Regulatory Commission) and Larry Barker (a local TV investigative reporter. Company’s don’t like to be highlighted by him.) In 1 hour a supervisor called and said I would get a new pair and no need to bother the PRC or Larry. This was Friday late.

Saturday 7:00am Cris called (The district crew foreman) he was at the junction box several blocks away and my service would be down for a few minuets. A short time latter Cris called again and informed me it was done, I had a new pair. More accurately my DSL/phone line was using a new pair of copper lines to transmit on.

It’s been fine now for several years.

hth, good luck
:wink:

2 Likes

Ha brilliant! I wish that would work (perhaps will try that when I go nuts next time) but we are monopolized by CenturyLink and they don’t seem to care. When the line drops I switch to my phone via hotspot, it’s at least more stable… hard to deal with this during a pandemic when we have to work from home. Plus with my foreign accent they may misunderstand me if I tell them to “put me on a different pair” :rofl:

The tech said they need to slow down our internet so it becomes more stable, well, they can only do it if they downgrade our internet, guess what? the plan is more expensive.

1 Like

Me too :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I feel your pain.
Find that TV investigative reporter, the one with the long yellow teeth.

Happy trails…

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome :rocket:

Jeez…

Maybe something like that would be an option?
Not perfect…But seems a lot of rural places in US suffer from that problem

@kmartin
wow, what a journey :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Welcome here, indeed a stable experience (my 3 computers are more stable with EndeavourOS than they were with Manjaro before I made the jump, 4 months ago). And the community is so great, you’ll enjoy your ride.
BTW … (No, I don’t mean I use Arch :rofl:), I am also in a rural zone in my country. My experience is different and in a way similar than yours: I have a constant and good download speed (400 to 500 Mb/s) but the upload which is normally 10 Mb/s get down to 1 Mb/s a few hours a day. Just annoying when you have to upload to the cloud.
My solution was to get 2 different providers and 2 different internet plans. So when one is down… I switch to the other. More expensive but at least I can work.

2 Likes

I’m on 19Mb/s with ADSL but I’ve found over the years that bandwidth and stability are more important than speed. So many ISP throttle speeds and bandwidth. Just find yourselves a good ISP and speed doesn’t matter too much unless you are running a business. I would go full fibre but I live in a building where that is not currently available. Governments talk about speed. It’s just specs that look impressive. Take Hifi as an example: Power does not equal quality, specs do not tell the whole picture, they just look impressive to the average uninformed punter and make the salesperson a whole load of money. The answers are out there, inform yourselves. :wink:

You wanted a system that had less frequent updates, so went with an Arch-based system?

:joy:

I think a Debian install might’ve been a better idea for less frequent updates - it’s probably still using 4.19 as a kernel :joy:

Seriously though, welcome to the community, it’s a great place and a great distro! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

For info, I updated the latest Deepin for my dad on sunday 16/11/2020 based on debian, this is currently kernel 5.4.50

EDIT: this Tuesday 17/11/2020 is an update to 5.4.70, Deepin is flirting with rolling !

I just checked, Buster (version 10) still ships with 4.19 in the ISO. I was being facetious, but turns out I was correct :joy:

It’s not a Distro I use atm though, I’m using EoS (obv), Fedora 33 (pretty nice, but needs a bit of aftercare post-install thanks to codecs), and Xubuntu (the best *buntu).

Technically if you don’t need to constantly install new software, you can just leave Arch for as long as you want as not updated :upside_down_face:

But in general Debian would be more logical solution for case of super-bad internet

4 Likes

Welcome @Zircon34 into your new universe :rocketa_purple:

I wish you to find what you are looking for as a researcher.

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Welcome !!!

2 Likes

:pray:Welcome…

2 Likes

Yes, good point. The story is so controversial… its actually the first distro I was going for. I used Debian in the past for about a year until my libre office docs could not be opened by my windows collaborators and actually started crashing. What a sad story, Debian was so stable but couldnt afford this problem for work, packages too old.

This time around I spent about an hour or more to install the wifi firmware then the grafics card and adding the non free repos and still got error messages, dont know why couldnt make it work. I guess my patience was over with Debian. I failed sadly :disappointed_relieved:. I was more looking for a plug and play distro I have to fix after having used it for a day at least :laughing: and needed to find my dignity back with an arch based distro.:joy:

Again, surprised about the update size for the past few weeks. Pretty moderate and in smaller chunks. For larger updates I can do them at university, thanks god we have a “high speed” (70-100 Mb/s) internet at work.

1 Like

Welcome to the community :beers:

1 Like