I was kinda wondering the same especially since EndeavourOS which says’s its a Terminal Centric Distro. ![]()
One may think that any one rational being, if they cannot find a way to enjoyment, at least they would act in such a way to diminish the suffering. ![]()
You can do this with Gnome Disk utility and KDE Partition manager:
All your complaints is what most people here think makes Arch/EndeavourOS great because of being a minimal, terminal centric and DIY distribution. If you those are your complaints about Arch/EndeavourOS you’ll be off beter using another distribution.
I have put anybody who told me to “use some other distro” into my ignore list. Thank you very much. You can ignore me too as i won’t be able to see your future comments.
Ah, please, if there is more “go use something else” people out there, please don’t be shy
I have a place for you too.
You’re not going to read this but I will post this for others stumbling upon this thread. Clearly you haven’t read the the Arch Linux principles which also apply to EndeavourOS.
Clearly you have different requirements for a distribution than others here by your list of complaints. By ignoring and blaming those that told you that you will be better off with a different distribution is just sticking your head in the sand. Different people have different requirements for a distribution, it’s okay if you don’t like Arch/EndeavourOS but do yourself a favor and make your own life easier. Those people were just trying to give you some friendly advice since you seem to be having a terrible time with EndeavourOS just having read your replies in this thread. I otherwise wouldn’t have even shared two graphical tools for your complaint #5 to help make for that point if I really didn’t have the best intention with my comment.
I thought you said it was good for people to speak their mind. There hasn’t been anything wrong with other comments they are not forcing you to do anything, they are just suggesting what they think is an alternative in their opinion, and it is a fact EOS is a “terminal centric distro” officially. But you can install GUI tools on EOS if GUI is preferred over terminal, that option isn’t impossible.
You might as well use a tablet then and just click on icons! Maybe Android! Or ChromeOS!
![]()
Well i can’t ignore you, so i think i have to reply. What i wrote up there was not particularly about arch or endeavour. Maybe you and others should have paid more attention. It was a general comment about the pitfalls of linux in general especially for those who don’t come from a computing background.
I don’t think i have to justify my use of arch (or endeavour) but since it has been an “issue” here it is. I wanted a “rolling” distro, ok? I wanted to have the latest versions of apps and latest kernel and bugfixes and all that. As an ARM user, i don’t have many options.
PS: Yes, i love tablets. Touchscreen navigation (other than typing) is great. Why not? What’s not to like about it? What does this even have to do with my comment?
It was a comment about in your own words “me as an ex-windows guy” - maybe you should pay attention to your own posts.
If you’re now talking about “the pitfalls of linux in general especially for those who don’t come from a computing background”, then to be taken seriously you need a much wider experience of Linux distros.
You may not have “many options” as an ARM user, but you have the option not to spout ignorance and then get the hump when your ignorance is challenged. Freedom of speech cuts both ways.
I have to click mouse for each software I am upgrading. Sometimes multiple clicks through an installer. In the terminal I type a single command to update all the available software updates. Also windows doesn’t have a way of telling me what apps have upgrades. I don’t have that problem in the terminal.
I don’t remember anything, for the most part I don’t type anything. I just type 1-2 characters and the command pops up through history, I just have to tab to get the complete command. I don’t remember the last time I’ve typed a complete command.
It’s not about wizardry for me; it’s about the convenience.
Posting this picture tells us more about yourself. I have never called people who use GUI apps clowns
I don’t care. I was using Linux before it was the popular thing to do. I don’t follow trends. I rather keep a small group of people much easier to manage.
This Linux bro really needs to take a timeout to get his “priorities” right ![]()
It seems that the headwind to your opinion is a bit too harsh, but that doesn’t justify starting a fight against everything. Without going into the topic itself. I would like to see the condescending tone reduced. This is not an inclusive, friendly, open way of communicating.
Enjoy your timeout.
I think you should reread your post.
Then you shouldn’t be using a Rolling release terminal centric distribution.
With a tablet you can just click on Icons … somewhat just like Windows!
If you like rolling release and gui tools, not everything, but including a package manager and the famous yast consider Tumbleweed as an alternative. They have arm images, although I’ve never used them so I can’t say what they’re like.
Of course you lose access to the AUR, but they have their own user repository system with a quite a lot of packages. Frankly, the AUR is better. They are related to a corporation which many see as a disadvantage, but the corpo is mostly good guys, certainly no IBM!
There is also Rhino based on Ubuntu Don’t know if its any good or not but its another alternative.
This sounds really interesting. I think I have to take a look of it at some point… ![]()
