How to utilize global menu of Shotcut video editor in KDE Plasma Wayland?

I am using the Shotcut video editor with KDE Plasma in Wayland.
The global menu for Shotcut does not work in Wayland (there is no menu at all), but it works in X11.

How to make Shotcut utilize the global menu in Wayland?

Wayland = doesn’t work
Xorg = works

So why use Wayland? You like when things don’t work? :rofl:

2 Likes

I have a touch screen laptop whose screen can be flipped to get into tablet mode.

Wayland has much better support for automatic screen rotation, tablet mode in KDE and on screen keyboard popping up when I touch on a text box.

I have a hard time understanding global menu. Isn’t that just another term for an Icon with a shortcut to the app? :thinking:

1 Like

The term “global menu” is used in different ways. I think here it is meant like on MacOS or ɢɴᴏᴍᴇ, where you have one menu on top of the screen for every program, and not under the window’s titlebar. It’s pretty stupid, in my opinion, but a lot of people seem to like it, so I could be wrong.

This is global menu. In Wayland, there is no menu for Shotcut video editor (other apps do have global menu). In X.Org, it works for all the apps

The solution is to run shotcut with

QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb shotcut

One can create a copy of the desktop file in .local/share/applications, and modify the Exec entry to

Exec = env QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb shotcut %F
2 Likes

Wayland is broken in many ways, for example:

I know. I always avoided using Wayland until I got this new touch screen Chromebook that has sensors for automatic screen rotation.

For the global menu to work, you would first need to add the widget ( is that Plasmese for GMOME extension?) to your panel.

2 Likes

Not sure if you are making a joke? :thinking:

Why?

I gave you both a verbal and a visual description of a global menu.

What part of my post sounds like a joke in your ears?

I’m never sure… Both look exactly the same.
:clown_face: :earth_africa:

1 Like

This part is why i asked?

That is a legitimate question.

Aren’t those widgets/addons add extra functionality to plasma shell in a similar way extension do in GNOME?

Yes, they are somewhat similar. Many of them are preinstalled, but not activated in KDE Plasma (AFAIK, vanilla GNOME does not come with any extensions). You can install more from the KDE Store.

1 Like

Widgets are not extensions. They are plasmoids.

1 Like

Isn’t the end purpose the same?
Adding extra functionalities to plasma shell?

https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/kdeplasma-addons/

Plasmoids are widgets for plasma desktop shell designed to enhance the functionality of desktop

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Plasma#Widgets

2 Likes

I am being serious. It really doesn’t explain what a global menu is? I just don’t talk about it in this manner. :man_shrugging:

It’s probably for the better that you don’t know. Not missing out.

1 Like