How much have your computing habits/opinions changed since using Linux?

In Australia we have a saying for losers as him " Legend in his own lunchtime" He will not accept help from anyone because ‘He is a tough bloke’ his words and the most of us just avoid him and some of the other folk here use him he has mentality of a dwarfed eggplant :rofl: it’s so true :rofl:

Yeah, I’d call anyone living in Australia a ‘tough bloke’, even the women. I cower at the sight of a wasp in my room (though I’m also allergic, but also a :cat:).

To me it sounds like mental illness and while I don’t endorse that sort of behaviour in any way, shape or form. I do sympathise with him.

Hopefully there was no actual damage done.

Well I’ve lived a long in the remote parts , outback we call it , and now living on the south east coast Queensland and in the outback people are genuine not pretentious
I agree it is mental illness that’s why the avoidance from some of us,
There always damage to that sort of behavior that’s the price for living in populated spots ,
due to health problems I cannot return to rural oz and in reality your safer outback than you imagine
and yes the women are tough they are also feminine also,
love em . :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Eh … it can be said that, in the end, I only knew the Linux reality, so I don’t know how to answer.

I have been using linux since January 2013, when a friend passed me an old pc of his and two liveDVDs (one with ubuntu 12.04 and the other with mint 15 mate)… before that day… basically I had no pc, which it spoiled me in 2007 and I had no way to get it; that’s why that friend of mine gave me his old man as a gift, as long as I installed linux because Win XP was in a really bad way and … well, studying computer science he had many distros at hand, but for newbies it’s those two.

I chose mint because it was the only one that everything worked live … and after just a week I learned about KDE… since then… only linux on pc (now I have a Lenovo bought freedos and on which they ran KDE Neon, Manjaro (both KDE and Deepin) and now EndeavourOS.

Making me miss Australia , wahhhhhh .

Not from the outback, but from the Tasmanian bush … waoohhhh .

A similar breed 8)

For me the main habits that changed from windows to linux were:

• software and update install via terminal. The awesomeness of direct manipulation of your OS or playing god with your computer
  • installing software from a trusted repository and not random internet sources.
  • becoming proficient at searching and solving problems through internet wikis and forums (guess had more problems at the beginning)
  • being excited about computing and coding
  • distro hoping like mad, trying out different DE
  • using mostly open source software and realizing how free I am to choose and change my computer system to my liking
  • no install of antivirus​:slightly_smiling_face:
  • participating at online forum and watching podcast about my operating system (how silly is that?)
  • often typing the word “sudo”
5 Likes

btw after Windows that was kinda insane to me…
“Wait a second…I can ACTUALLY get help in a matter of minutes?!”

I’ve never ever get any kind of actual help with any service center, or God forbid Microsoft for that matter :laughing:

That is such a bliss :penguin:

3 Likes

Both of these points are so true :smile:

1 Like

Sometimes I think that all the additional productivity I gained when switching from Windows to Linux, due to there being better tools on Linux and having a more efficient workflow, is lost on tinkering and just messing around with my computers, due to Linux being so fun to use. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Sometimes I think of going back … The absence of choice is like a prison yard … hard labour all day … ! build the wall ! and ENJOY IT

since i use linux i dont download software from various sources anymore in that extent as now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Linux hasn’t changed my computer habits, I still can’t type. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

The help they offered to my colleague was either a) give them permission to login into your system remotely so they can try to fix it or b) reinstall windows. a) is a no go for me, security wise they have to much access, b) my cure would be to install linux and get support from the community, which is generally great.

I dont know the windows forum community, it may be that they also have excellent forum/people willing to help.