How much have your computing habits/opinions changed since using Linux?

Funny thing, regarding where you live matters… since according to courts EULAs are invalid by design since you have to unpack the product to read them and agree to them…

True enough - but our government doesn’t have enough teeth for something like that - after all, we’re next door (tremble). About the only thing we manage to differ on is copyright and fair use - and no longer as much as we should…

1 Like

On this note the most interesting for me was EULA from Ubisoft where you first have to start the software, then it goes to fullscreen without any option to alt+tab or close it (keyboard shortcuts didn’t work on Windows) and there is only one button “agree”. So either you agree or do a hard reset. :sweat_smile: :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Well, I started with HP Basic in the early 70’s—so I’ve seen lots of changes. Hell, I inputed programs with punch cards :slight_smile: Move forward to me living in the Bay Area in the early 80’s–gee I was a Mac person (imagine that…) Stayed with Macs until the early 00’s (was part of the ADC & was involved in testing the “new” OS X – my wife HATED it). Left the Apple world the day that Steve announced at MacWorld that he was changing from Power PC to Intel. I was growing tired of paying for EVERYTHING & a large number of us quit in mass that night. Shortly after that I was using YellowDog linux for Mac…About late 05 a friend of mine was talking about a new distro called a really funny name–Ubuntu. I looked in & got a PPC build of Warty-Warthog. Stayed with 'buntu for several years in the testing group–started building my own systems around that time–then moved to Mint when they started the Debian variant. From there to main Debian as a debugger with Sid & stayed for several years…I have been looking at Arch for 3~4 years now & after ANOTHER nVidia-driver breakage made the change…And so here I am.

6 Likes

Unity was Windows for Linux desktop environments.
I think it was a very failed development for Canonical.

I’ve tried unity a few times in the past while experimenting in VM’s.
Never was my cup of tea.
Yet there still are people who swear by it

1 Like

I’ve been using Linux for about 15 years now and I’m not entirely sure by this point how much they’ve changed since I began. A few things come to mind.

I learned to love package managers, eventually shifting away from gui to cli for updates and installations.
No longer update indiscriminately.
Care in choosing components and peripherals for computers to ensure they’ll play nicely with Linux.
Rolling release doesn’t mean lots of breakage/unstable.
Regardless of what DE is used, I can bang it into whatever shape I want–just depends on the amount of time/effort it takes

4 Likes

Are you sure they were people and not space aliens? :alien: :rofl:

If they ran it in their UFO’s, it might explain the Roswell crash :alien:

4 Likes

As one of those space aliens :grin: I’ll take (gentle) issue with that. Unity was actually a very productive setup, and made a LOT of sense - especially to someone coming from the Amiga ecosystem (the place that topbar menus came from). It was extremely effective at saving vertical screen real estate (of less importance now with hi-dpi screens) and matched up well with laptops and such - as well as being extensible to phone and tablet use. Unfortunately it was part of an abortive push to have one OS for all three - but it still worked VERY well - the HUD was excellent.

A lot of knickers were in a knot because of the (optional, but defaulted) Amazon tie-in and never bothered to try to work within it, so never found out how superior the workflow actually was. Oh - and it defaulted the close, minimize, maximize buttons back to the left where they have always belonged - and that upset a lot of people too, despite the ease of changing it. It is amazing how much Windows has affected people who spurn it vociferously - even without them noticing! Funny that when MS changed the location to the right, they didn’t dare NOT leave a vestige behind - the close (Exit) option remained on the left for years! :grin:

I don’t still use Unity - largely because it’s only accessible on an Ubuntu build - but it still has fans - and a place in my multi-boot.

4 Likes

Well i don’t know, as Amiga lover myself - Amiga was less :alien: alien to me than unity for some reason :laughing:

4 Likes

Well - it did need a bit of time to acclimatize to - which most didn’t give it! Those that gave it time, though, ended up liking it a lot! I still wish the Amiga had continued on properly - it was WAY ahead for years…

1 Like

I HATED it when I was in the testing group…I had a prior commitment with the Gnome devs & we had Unity shoved down our throats…It was what broke Ubuntu for me…I went to Mint Debian Edition shortly after…Wrote a long post to the testing group explaining my position. I miss a lot of those people–the roller coaster 6 month OS pushout got you to trust lots of people…We were a tight group.

For me, the main change has been the amount of times I actually use a terminal. Every time I turn my computer on and boot into Linux I open a terminal at least once. That doesn’t happen on Windows unless I’m formatting a drive or something, which is rare since I never grew up using cmd/Powershell/Terminal when using Windows.

Customization is another thing. Since customization is much easier to do on Linux than on Windows I’m more inclined to make changes. Not too big as I’m not a rice junkie lol but still some tweaks like extension, icons, fonts, cursors, shell theme, etc.

I’ve also been watching more Linux related YouTube channels for knowledge or entertainment or whatever. Recently I’ve been binge-watching baby Wogue.

Still a lot to learn and more things that may change in the future for me.

1 Like

Thanks for the channel recommendation; love anime and love linux, and it’s refreshing to have the 2 combined. :+1:t2: And, yes, some good channels out there, and lots more to experience. Nice Micro does some good tutorials, as does LearnLinuxTV … it was Jay’s tutorial that gave me the confidence to try Arch … both explain things very clearly and cover a good range of things.

1 Like

I stopped playing games and instead started doing stuff inside Linux (programming, trying stuff out, fixing problems, testing different distros, etc.). Overall Linux makes it fun to learn stuff about computers, for me at least.

4 Likes

@Beardedgeek72
Got one of my neighbours who boasts about being on Ubuntu and sending Windohs users emails full of viruses
when as why would you do such a thing his reply effem ,
told that his behavior could make other Linux users appear to be also bad people ,
uh his reply effem them too ,
him and I don’t get along on nice anymore , he is such a :poop:

Please tell me this is a joke and he’s not actually flexing 'buntu by sending people emails with actual, real, possibly damaging malware.

If so, I’m pretty sure it’s actually a crime.

1 Like

@Oziach
Um yep he when I was last talking to him about 2 years ago he was doing that and he is not the type of creature to change his habits , when suggested that in America that is definitely a crime his response effem he is not in the USA , How the umphf can I talk to such a creature , What he has done to people living around here including but not just to me is absolutely crap ( being polite),
short answer - yes a nasty troll

I feel sorry for him then, I hope he got some sort of help in the meantime you weren’t talking to him and improved his behaviour. Hopefully people on the receiving end are okay too!