How do you customize your GNOME desktop?

I can’t wait to see a screen shot, i might have to hop to Gnome for a bit. :smiley:

This one may take a couple days. This whole extension thing is throwing me off a bit. It doesn’t feel like anything else I’ve ever used before.

1 Like

I customize it by not using it. It works pretty well.

3 Likes

Alright, so far I’ve added dash to dock which is perfectly straight forward and simple. I got rid of activities and hot corners that were horrendously annoying, and the unbelieably hideous applications menu with the big massive icons that look like a child’s computer. Nice simple bar on top I like, with time and date centered. I will say, I’m a lot more impressed now that I never see the application screen menu. It’s like a completely new experience using GNOME this time.

Does anyone know how to change the calendar to Monday start date? In Cinnamon it’s just a clickable option. Google isn’t helping much here. It’s GNOME, so I’m assuming there’s a very simple way to do this and I just don’t know where to find it yet, and feel like I’ve been looking forever.

Screenshot from 2020-12-08 04-08-14

Like this? …

You can get this by changing how your locale is set. I would image this could have some side effects, but I just set mine up this way and will try it for a few days. Here are the steps I followed (found from a 'buntu forum post)…

Change or add the following lines in the LC_TIME section in /usr/share/i18n/locales/(your locale) [ie in my case the locale file is en_US]

week 7;19971130;5
first_weekday 2
first_workday 2

And then update the system:

sudo locale-gen

Then I had to log out and log back in for it to take effect.

1 Like

I actually already found the extention for that calendar. I’m using the calendar app that came with it though. Grep shows gnome-calendar. I will try your method, as I used to have to do that in KDE. But I found updates broke it regularly. Is this true in GNOME? I would much rather do a permanent fix.

Cinnamon just has me click a button and it’s done.

edit: also, I’ve noticed ALOT of people complaining about things breaking on the gnome extensions webpage. Is that really as common as it seems for you normal GNOME users? That seems crazy things would break that often.

Screenshot from 2020-12-08 06-31-39

2 Likes

I never had breaking on the extension site. I only get broken extensions when GNOME does a big update. So the next GNOME 40 release would probably break a lot of the extensions. Or did you mean something else?
I use KDE Plasma at the moment, because of this specific thing, but I still run EndeavourOS Gnome in the GNOME Boxes application on my KDE.

1 Like

This. This is why I like Cinnamon. The last time I used KDE, like the 3 things I legit use, 2 were broken on my last try, and it bothered me.

2 Likes

I think one of the benefits of this approach is that you are changing the system level locale definition. This shouldn’t really be updated or changed by any typical updates.

Maybe I’m missing something but on my install /usr/share/i18n/locales is a directory, not a file. . .

my bad … within that directory, you want to edit the corresponding file for your locale. In my case the file name is en_US … I edited my original response to reflect this …

1 Like

That makes way more sense. I’ll give it a go. It looks to have worked.

Let’s see if it stays like that.

1 Like

And here we go. Pop Shell, some real type of a menu I found on extensions. Dash to dock, removed applications thing, removed hot corners, added korla icons, and even got a Monday start to my calendars.

I hate admitting. . . I kind of like it.

Screenshot from 2020-12-08 07-49-17 Screenshot from 2020-12-08 07-45-37 Screenshot from 2020-12-08 07-39-11

11 Likes

Looks quite nice I prefer the dock to the left side, arc menu can also be put in the dock. The top bar can also be used for open apps icons like cinnamon with the help of taskbar 2000. The clock can be moved to the right, their is so much that can be done to customize gnome, to your likeing. Stock Gnome is just a blank template the user can change to suit their stile but it seems users of today don’t seem to understand what can be done they want others to do it for them

I tried that, but since the super key brings up the workspace switcher, and the applications in the dock can be opened quickly with super + 1 for the first app, I don’t really use the menu much, or don’t think I will. So, up top kind of out of the way when I do need it is kind of nice.

And the clock centered on top is BY FAR my favorite thing. It’s literally the reason I use Cinnamon instead of KDE. Bonus, is I like the pop-shell occasional use. It’s convenient when I want to tile, and I can use the ocmputer normally afterwards.

autotiling in KDE was broken the last time I used it. It made me sad.

1 Like

Yeah here too…
Installed it on my Thinkpad, thinking I’d only use it for work stuff…
But I actually use that same setup after work hours too

Btw, with the Unite extension, you can take away the titlebars to save some screenspace :wink:

5 Likes

You’re not hydrated!!! :robot: :frog:

2 Likes

Question for all of you Gnome users, can you add a weather “app” to your panel like i can in Xfce? I know i know but i like my weather next to my clock lol. :grinning: I like the way @fbodymechanic set his Gnome up, he has me :thinking: about giving it a go.

This extension should work in the current 3.38 version of Gnome

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/750/openweather/

edit:
yes it does :wink:
Screenshot from 2020-12-08 19-36-05

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley: