How do you customize your GNOME desktop?

I’ve shown it here already : Share Your Desktop - #2899 by Krimkerre

I use the following plugins:

Dash to dock
Pop!Shell
Hide Activities Button
Tray Icons: Reloaded
Workspace Buttons

If you want to have names for your workspaces like I do, you have to do some extra tweaking:
First of all disable dynamic workspaces in the Gnome Tweaks menu

Then use dconf editor to change the values under:
/org/gnome/desktop/wm/preferences/workspace-names

using following format:
['Workspace 1', 'Workspace 2', 'Etc.']

You can use FontAwesome Icons in there, as I did with mine.

Or you can just disable ‘workspace names’ in the extension’s settings, and just leave dynamic workspaces on, so you’ll just have numbered workspaces, that increase automatically
Both work great

3 Likes

@Krimkerre close to my gnome x86 setup… Popshell come a long way ,it keep get better :+1:

Yes! I’m also keeping a look on MaterialShell for Gnome…

Right now it still isn’t a 100% fit for me, but I’m curious to see how it will develop.
I still use MaterialAwesome on one of my laptops.

For the moment I still prefer Pop!Shell over MaterialShell, but luckily it’s very easy to switch between the two :slight_smile:

i should look at materialshell agian soon … i disliked the launcher in middle of window ( no way to remove or switch what was placed in launcher ) it changed now ?

That’s my main dislike about it too…

Last time I tried it (about a month ago) it was still there…
Didn’t find a way to disable it too…

if they not rethink that then Popshell will always be more popular …

Why from the AUR, what’s the difference?

It uses the latest commit from the git version. So when extensions break it is earlier updated then from the extension store

1 Like

I’ll add the Unite extension to the list too…
Saw it mentioned above by @eric_adams

So far it’s the only extension I’ve found that works to hide the title bars

Screenshot from 2020-11-29 14-05-24

Here is my “little” customization on GNOME :smiley:
I’m still newbie so, all my customization comes from GNOME tweaks, but I’m satisfied with this look, best for my workflow…

Screenshot from 2020-12-06 12-30-56

1 Like

looks good!

is that cairo dock you are using?

edit:
I see you’re using a Lenovo Legion 5…
have the touchpad issues been solved by now?

No, it’s plank-dock…
I tried Cairo, but it was little laggy and buggy for me, plank dock is lighter and works like a charm for me and because I don’t need all those settings that cairo have, plank is more than enough for me, I only need “zoom on hover” and “autohide” so I decided to stay with it.

@Krimkerre No, unfortunately touchpad still not working

1 Like

OK–I’m a OLD ex-mac guy…so my Gnome looks mac-ish. Lots of extensions in use…Applications Menu, Clipboard Indicator, Desktop Icons (ding), Gravatar, Lock Keys, Open Weather, Places Status Indicator, Removeable Drive Menu, Remove Dropdown Arrows, Screenshot Tool, Screenshot Window Resizer, Tweaks in System Menu, Uptime Indicator & User Themes. I’m using Cairo Dock with a custom theme. The Conky is one of my own designs (look under conky at https://www.pling.com/ for GVS Plus–I’ll customize any of my conky scripts for anyone if wanted). My page: https://www.pling.com/u/autocrosser1/

Screenshot-20201206101128-3440x1440

3 Likes

I use
Arch Linux Updates Indicator
Caffeine
Dash to Dock
TopIcons Plus

I use my GNOME by customizing it to Cinnamon

:hugs:

3 Likes

You mean backdating it 2 releases Lol
At least with Arch the rest of the system is up-to date

1 Like

What can I say. I like old things that just work.

3 Likes

At least someone appreciates me.

EDIT:
I customize my Gnome with dash-to-panel and Arc-Dark and that’s pretty much it.

Pudge

6 Likes

Dash to dock and Taskbar 2000 take care of Gnome customization here + Mc-OS Transparent-1.3 theme, laxeros icons

2 Likes

I just installed gnome. I’m going to give it a fair shake for once. I’m also excited to try the pop shell tiling.

5 Likes