How do you choose your online linux names?

Pierre is my first name, p is the first letter of my family name and 56 is my birth year. So all together is: pierrep56

3 Likes

Well, I have used my username for most forums, related to Linux or not.
In my case, Adrian is my real name and 2895 because I was born in 28th August 1995 :wink:

3 Likes

There’s some pattern here of uncovering privacy :laughing:
Turns out Linux online names are very open-source :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

c00ter…everywhere the last 7 years in honor of my poor, dead tomcat of the same name (Cooter). He was named (not by me) after the mechanic in the U.S. TV series Dukes of Hazard.

His Majesty…cooter

cooter-crop2

19 Likes

Orca Flotta is my avie in Second Life https://secondlife.com/ and, compared to the rather private and shy real life woman, is an opinonated loudmouth punk and has a rich social life on the interwebz. Simple as that.

5 Likes

I like your current avatar, too! I wouldn’t change it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here’s a 400x400 version of your avatar:

SweSG

I created it by cropping the wallpaper I found on both of these sites:

http://hammad.yolasite.com/mixed-wallpapers.php

Edit: It looks like the forum software has converted the .png I upload into a .jpg. If you’re interested, I can probably find a way to send you the .png.

2 Likes

My latin is not very good, it is supposed to mean ‘demonic’ or something like that, but I took it from the title of one of ‘The X-Files’ episode, I never saw it as a handle before, so I grabbed it.

The avatar is an old, sort of famous image in reddit / tumblr called ‘the sink eye’.

1 Like

My nick root is because it was possible and because I was recently able to grab the usage rights for nix.dk - so root.nix.dk has become my notepad. Just thought - it has nice ring :slight_smile: - stupid I know.

My github nick is fhdk - which is my initials and where I live.

My manjaro nick is linux-aarhus because I am part of a danish Linux User group in the city of Aarhus.

7 Likes

It’s my name, which is quite common where I live, so I was amazed it was available.
The avatar is a picture of my favourite bit of nature near my home.

4 Likes

A whole lot of horizon there :rofl:

2 Likes

When i created my play games account google suggested it and i liked it so i kept for most things

4 Likes

I’m a huge fan of the English Progressive Rock band, Van der Graaf Generator. On their 1976 album, ‘World Record’, the 20+ minute song “Meurglys III (The Songwriters Guild)” opens side two.

The main driving force of VDGG, Peter Hammill named one of his Guild M75 Bluesbird electric guitars Meurglys III.

Being a fan of the music and a guitar player too, I thought it was a cool sounding name, and have been using it for ages.

Here’s a link to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS5EWYuvXzw

2 Likes

It’s my name, but since my name is so common, I add the year I was born.

I got mine when trying to find a name for quakeworld I wanted to be thereaper but that was taken so I started changing letters and my username was born

Whenever I read your name, it reminds me (for some unknown reason) of the Daltons from Lucky Luke.

:wink:

1 Like

Mine came from my biker days 50y ago, the reason i will not explain but its to do with dogs and bitches

3 Likes

mine comes from a classic Dr. Seuss story. When my daughter was younger, Hoos Foos was always her favorite, and mine as well.

5 Likes

Would you rather we call you Dave? :smiley:

1 Like

Out of Phase is type of guitar sound, where the pickups are wired in an opposite polarity thus canceling each other out and leaving only a tiny part of the sound audible.

The sound was Peter Green’s, of Fleetwood Mac, signature sound. From what I’ve read the pickups were wired incorrectly at the factory, but Peter kept them that way as he liked the sound.

I’ve found Out of Phase to be quite descriptive of me and decided to use it as an online nickname.

4 Likes

@fbodymechanic

Thought you might like this one.

linux-archlinux-logo-futurama-wallpaper-preview

4 Likes