History repeats itself, unaware

Haha i like his/her vids, too. Cocoa does a good job i must admit :grin:

1 Like

Like to see a video to be done for EndeavourOS by them. Would be cool.

1 Like

With Gnome 40 around the bend, this is a friendly little reminder (mostly to myself) to disable extensions before updating.

1 Like

Can you install Gnome 40 already in Endeavour?

Gnome 40 isn’t released yet, that will happen next week, so Arch usually follows two weeks after the release date.

1 Like

Had a look at Fedora 34 dev today. This Gnome 40 looks more usable, with touchpad gestures and all.

Parts have already moved to stable while the release date is the 24th According to https://wiki.gnome.org/Forty

Still feeling pretty iffy about the dock at the bottom…but I’ll try it…At least until Dash to Dock is updated :wink:

1 Like

This is the second time today, I thought we were a week in the “past”. :joy:
Anyway, it will take some days (weeks) before it hits Arch stable.

1 Like

Time has been especially strange lately lol :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Dash to dock is usually in sync with the Gnome updates.

2 Likes

For REAL, I was thinking the exact same thing.

So, you’re telling me GNOME 4 is NOTHING at all like what we currently have. . . Now I’m interested!

2 Likes

I don’t like it but then again i never liked Gnome before … ever! :rofl:

I did like Gnome 2 a lot, but Mate just feels too dated now. As in Xfce feels like a wonder of modernity in comparison.

2 Likes

I actually never cared for Gnome2 either (and don’t remember Gnome1 if I ever used it), but definitely preferred it to Gnome3. I actually think Mate is pretty decent nowadays after a fair amount of customizing to make it look and work like (what is to me) a sane desktop experience.

So it seems like Gnome 40 packages are going from gnome-unstable directly to stable or am I missing something? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Edit: Except for gnome-shell and a few others, which landed in stable from staging today

1 Like

My personal opinion, but I have tried Gnome 40; in fact still trying it, typing it from an enOS install with Gnome 40; and I honestly don’t like it.

I wasn’t using Linux when the Gnome 2->3 switch happened. I love the gnome 3 workflow, but what Mate provides is also excellent. Gnome 40 looks very slick, and I’m sure many people love it. More power to them! I personally don’t like it because the Gnome developers like to change and break people’s workflows for no reason, whether the end result is “better” in their view or not, they don’t listen to their users but rather try to make the system appealing to newcomers. That’s fine, just not what I want.

My specific issues with Gnome 40 are:

• As far as space saving goes, Gnome 3 was excellent. Being able to pack so much on one Activities screen, and have it look good. 40 has padding everywhere. This makes it not so great to use on 1336x768 screens.
  • The window previews look blurry, and are small and hard to read with just 2 windows open. I frequently use this to quickly read a window’s contents, and with 3.38 it was just fine.
  • On older hardware, it just feels laggier.
1 Like

I kind of get Gnome’s philosophy, i.e. having a certain vision for how a desktop should be. It’s what Apple do. However, unlike Apple, their desktop doesn’t work well enough for most people without requiring extensions.

My other gripe was that much of the utility of their workspaces was lost in a dual monitor setup by not allowing separate workspaces per monitor.

I find it frustrating as I’ve been a long time Gnome user & there are some things that Gnome does very well. However, (for me), I feel the balance has tipped out of Gnome’s favour in Gnome 40.

Gnome is opinionated, always have been, I don’t have a gripe with that. That’s great! What annoys me is that the development team refuses to listen to their user base. Even if someone steps up to implement some feature and creates a MR, and most of their userbase would be in favor of it, they deny it based on the whim of some developer. Then, also based on the whim of some developer, they redesign the whole thing, and create a change that breaks everything that their userbase liked, in order to perhaps attract a couple users.

1 Like