History repeats itself, unaware

My single biggest gripe / laugh was the explanation given by some developer for the removal of the system tray:

“Users gets confused by them (system tray icons), they are difficult to understand”.

That’s it.
All other DEs have them, including Gnome 2 / Mate. But sure, the same users that are “more sophisticated and can understand the benefit of a superior workflow” are so easily confused they don’t understand the idea of a system tray.

If you don’t want your DE to have a system tray, fine. You do you. But don’t throw your own user base under the bus by basically calling them stupid.

2 Likes

Yeah, that kind of attitude is exactly what I’m talking about. No one wants them to strip out such useful functionality, and add useless functionality. Looking at gnome history, you can see, slowly but steadily, it’s turning into nothing more than a web page:

• remove all sorts of theming functionality, and make the only way to get it back an application that isn’t even part of Gnome. ???
  • remove desktop icons, which so many people rely on.
  • remove all sorts of little bits of functionality, like the frequent/all selector that was removed I believe in 3.38.
  • in 40, rework their workflow into something unfamiliar, like they did a decade ago.