History repeats itself, unaware

I’d still say Windows is better looking and more usable than Gnome though. Heck, I’d use the aforementioned DWM before Gnome, it’s far more usable.

2 Likes

No, dwm is truly excellent, no joke. I so want to switch to it permanently (instead of switching to it every two weeks), but I need my wobbly windows and magic lamp…

3 Likes

Not familiar with magic lamp, but I do like wobbly windows.

1 Like

As @TurkeyJohn would say:

Wobble-Wobble! :turkey:

1 Like

@keybreak, well put! I wholeheartedly concur. frog_monocle

Prepare to have your entire world shattered and rebuilt:

OK, I remember a similar thing (maybe same) back with KDE 3 + compiz.

2 Likes

Also Gnome 2 and Kompiz.

Yeah, it’s nothing new. Which makes other DEs look even worse in comparison :laughing:

And with all that bloa  shiny features, it is still one of the lightest DEs when it comes to RAM and CPU usage…

But this is a thread about GNOME, and none of this applies to it, so let’s get back on topic. :rofl:

Gobble Gobble*

4 Likes

I was a little surprised when I saw a few bits of Gnome 40 already trickle onto my desktop ahead of Wednesday’s release. I was expecting it to take a while in testing before reaching the main repositories.

1 Like
2 Likes

Side note:

As interesting as their videos are I find they usually err on the opposite side of things.
Like outright and unironically stating that Cinnamon is pointless, or nitpicking Plasma / Elementary “faults” while refusing to aknowledge Gnome’s (And, ironically, always use Dash-to-panel, which kind of indicates they do not like Gnome’s ACTUAL default workflow…).

I just find it amusing. :laughing:

2 Likes

I must say that I really don’t understand why the app-picker even exists in Gnome 3.
Not being grouchy here but SUPER+SEARCH and maybe a favorites bar is all that is needed. Seriously.

Unless you are building a touchscreen UI of course… Which they keep denying that they are optimizing it for while constantly optimizing it for it. Same with Gestures.

I think it’s one of the problems, perhaps, that Gnome 3 is trying to be 100% Keyboard-centric, almost equal to a tiling WM, while ALSO being optimized for the complete opposite: Touch screens.
It would explain why the app-pick window feels so disjointed; on desktop it doesn’t belong at all, especially not with features like folders and drag and drop and re-arrange icons.
While on a touch screen it’s the opposite; the app-picker is absolutely mandatory and the search bar is unnecessary; typing search words on a tablet keyboard instead of swiping back and forth or up and down is much much worse.

1 Like

I hate touch screens. On a tablet okay but a laptop or a desktop no. Unless it’s a 2 in one where it can be used as a tablet i can see that. Otherwise no! Not for me.

4 Likes

To touch or not to touch
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

Is that an Amazon Polly voice? They’re getting harder to tell…

Don’t touch my tablet! :smile:

2 Likes

Yes it is Amazon Polly. Baby Wogue (the person doing all those videos) uses it all time

1 Like

I like the actual content enough to put up with all the anime things. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like