Heads up on latest Kernel update 6.2.5.arch1-1

Lost Wifi after the latest update. Macbook Pro 2012 Intel i7 2.9Ghz. Using wired network for the time being.

Hello everyone, first post on the EndeavourOS forums and Iā€™m quite happy to be here! Been using Endeavour as a daily for over 2 years now havenā€™t had too many unmanageable problems until this one, so allow me to share my 2 cents:

First of all, I have two machines: one laptop with an Intel CPU (canā€™t recall the exact chipset off-hand), and one big rig with an AMD Ryzen 5600. The laptop has exactly one SSD drive, while my big rig has 2 HDDs, 1 SSD and 1 NVMe; the OS is on the NVMe.

I was first affected by this issue last week, when upgrading from 6.1.9 to 6.2.2: I faced the same issue that @yuanhao faced, but on my big rig with the AMD CPU (this was before upgrading my laptop). However, I had a more informative kernel message: one of my SSDs wasnā€™t detected, which was strange because apparently GRUB was able to find the kernel and offload to it after POSTing, and all of my connectors were secured.

Doing some digging, I came across these posts on the Arch forums and correspondingly linked bugs:

1. Arch BBS: SSD disappeared after upgrade to linux-6.2.1.arch1-1
  2. Arch BBS: NVMe issues on new install
  3. Arch BBS: Boot hangs after upgrading to linux-lts-6.1
  4. Bugs@Arch: FS#77596; HIGH, Linux 6.2 fails to boot on F2FS root
  5. Bugs@Arch: FS#77632; HIGH, 6.2 fails to boot on Intel (gen12, golden cove)

Which, long story short, boils down to an unstable commit as a part of (I think) the 6.2 tree for SSDs, for which a change was queued in for 6.3. I was able to work around all of this by downgrading the kernel, a solution thatā€™s also recommended over at (1). I am now currently using 6.1.9 until 6.3 is released for Arch/Endeavour.

EDIT_1: regrading the downgrade, I booted from an Endeavour USB and mounted all of my drives appropriately from /mnt before arch-chrooting in and using the paccache to rollback.

EDIT_2: my laptop never faced any issue at all and booted happily with 6.2.2.

3 Likes

thanks for the headsup in reply!
It is still somehow unclear to meā€¦ but i have juist a bad day anyway so not on full capacity.

And i have no machine effected here at all will try to do some reproducing tests tomorrow.
At least i see this:

so luckily it seems downgrading is a workaround in this case too!

And indeed downgrading kernel needs to downgrade the header package to the same version if not dkms will not work properlyā€¦

Added some more help on top:

3 Likes
  • All working here on mainline kernel. Lenovo Legion AMD/nVidia.
  • Zen kernel - wireguard not working.

Have told my partner to hold off updating for a bit :smiley:

1 Like

Sure thing! If I might recommend something for your testing, perhaps you might also be interested in investigating EFI handover for the 6.2 series of kernels in relation to SSDs. Here are two corresponding issues that I simply couldnā€™t find when making my first post:

1. Arch BBS: linux-zen 6.2.1 fails to boot via grub
  2. Arch BBS: Canā€™t boot on kernel 6.2.arch1 & 6.2.1.arch1, EFI transfer error

For some reason that I canā€™t pinpoint, I think the two are related, but Iā€™m unsure how to go about actually proving this.

EDIT: what struck me as suspicious when I first encountered this issue was the fact that some people faced EFI handover problems; in my case, GRUB was able to find my NVMe and begin booting, but then stopped short of actually loading the kernel.

for the story ( from Saturday to Monday )

1 Like

MacBookPro5,5 Kernel: 6.2.6-arch1-1
Ekran GƶrĆ¼ntĆ¼sĆ¼ - 2023-03-14 00-46-19
wifi work.
thanks. :grinning:

1 Like

6.1.19-1-lts fix thatā€¦ that out
6.2.6-1 should fix it . in testing ( no be long )

1 Like

Shouldā€™ve read this post before upgrading to 6.2.5-zen1-1zen ā€¦ alas :wink:

My MacBookPro laptop vintage 2011 boots up but wonā€™t connect via wifi.

Iā€™ve followed the instructions above (many thanks!) for downgrading to a previous kernel. Iā€™ve tried a few and rebooted, but each time neofetch (and uname -r) tell me Iā€™m still on 6.2.5-zen1-1-zen.

Not sure why my downgrading doesnā€™t seem to take effect after reboots. Wifi still missing in action :roll_eyes:

1 Like

install lts if need wifi if no want use testing .

1 Like

May I ask ā€¦ without wifi, how do I install LTS when itā€™s not showing as an option?

wired

1 Like

Yeah, I guess thatā€™s where Iā€™m headed ā€¦ in which case, who needs wifi :wink:

UPDATE: PEBKAC. Kept selecting all the wrong choices from my GRUBā€™s kernel offerings. Got myself back to a functional kernel that was already on board. Iā€™m older and wiser now. :roll_eyes:

After rolling back to a snapshot prior to the most recent kernel update, I had things working on 6.2.2. I did an update ignoring the new kernel.

yay -Syyu --ignore=linux,linux-headers

This worked and now I have wifi and everything is up to date except the kernel is on 6.2.2

1 Like

Iā€™m booting OK with 6.2.5 but I donā€™t use WiFi on this machine. As a matter of practice though, I keep the LTS installed as well for just such a situation.

2 Likes

I suppose I should consider updated my motherboard but Iā€™m loathe to do so unless I really have to. As I recall, I just opted to shut off TPM at the motherboard since Iā€™m not booting into Windows anyway.

Hmmmmā€¦ I upgraded yesterdayā€“using 6.2.5-zen1-1-zen. Running fairly new Intel desktop - 12th Gen i7-12700KF in an Asus Z690. No problems with this hardwareā€“Has Intel Corporation Alder Lake-S PCH CNVi WiFi & Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller I225-V. Not sure why itā€™s all working OKā€”but it is.

because your hardware is not effectedā€¦

OKā€”I guess that I should consider myself luckyā€¦

1 Like

No issues that Iā€™ve noticed as of yet on my laptop. I have yet to update my new desktop and Iā€™m now hesitant to try.