Grub delay

That was my suspicion at first but then:

:man_shrugging:t5:

Strange. That looks like an /etc/default/grub from when grub isn’t selected.

1 Like

Perhaps it might be something to consider to make the choice of the bootloader like an active “opt in”?

So the users have to make a conscious decision rather than clicking next and then not knowing what they have installed.

We didn’t do that deliberately. We wanted people to be able to install in a default way as much as possible.

1 Like

I personally would like to see either grub being the default or if possible that the installer makes you choose one so it’s deliberate. :man_shrugging:

Edit:
Maybe on the main page here could be added that the system is installed with systemd-boot and has the option to select grub.

Or have it on the download page? Just before the download links.

But then again nobody looks at this stuff.

1 Like

I understand that. But the “default” way is not something “predestined”. It can be different.

It just that there have been several cases lately in the forum, when some users have hit an issue they are asking help for, and they couldn’t tell what bootloader they have installed.

When someone tells that they have set GRUB_TIMEOUT=“0” and then have updated grub.cfg, it is natural to assume that they have chosen Grub. Just to suspect 15 replies later that that might not be the case.

1 Like

Yes, this worked!! Thank you all for your help\support. Should I have been aware of this? Is there something I did wrong? Must remember this for future installs. When I used to dual boot I changed /boot/grub/grub.cfg and it worked.

With the latest release, we changed the default from grub to systemd-boot. It is a different bootloader. You can still choose grub in the installer though.

Also, you definitely didn’t do a legacy install because systemd-boot doesn’t support legacy…

Some of those are caused by the intel issue.

I think maybe we should stop installing /etc/default/grub for non-grub installs. That would make it much more obvious.

3 Likes

You should have been aware of what bootloader you have installed.
You went with the “default” and that is systemd-boot and not Grub.

Yes. Everything you said you did in your first post.

It helps if you remember what you have chosen to install.

At any rates, glad your issue is resolved!

That would at least remedy some “confusion”.

Does Grub package get installed anyways? Even though the user has gone with the default?

Judging by the OP, they have run the grub-mkconfig command to update grub.cfg.

No.

They must have installed grub at some point.

In that case, it wouldn’t make any difference if the installer copy a pre-configured /etc/default/grub into the installed system or not.

I mean, if they would install the Grub package, the will get a “vanilla” /etc/default/grub anyways.

I think still it would be better to make the users to make an active decision on the bootloader.
And reserve the “no bootloader” option for advanced users.

They should know. . . if they clicked next, it’s assumed they read and know what they have agreed to. If not, then it was their choice to have issues.

Anyone who installed should know. If they don’t know, it’s a great learning experience to go back and install, or that they need to learn to pay attention while installing and reinstall.

I’m pretty heartless though, and catering to the lowest common denominator is something I strongly discourage in the world.

Ah yes, another “my GRUB config doesn’t work (btw, I use soystemd-boot, but I don’t know it)” thread…

Makes one wonder, whether it is less support effort to just fix GRUB issues when they arrive, or to have soystemd-boot as the default, and a bunch of users who don’t know they are not using GRUB

thinking_72

2 Likes

there is no halp its not ubuntu. You need to know about your system its the arch trap anyway.

3 Likes

Wait until they start posting on the Arch forum, pretending they are not using EndeavourOS. :rofl:

:popcorn: :frog:

2 Likes

@Kresimir @joekamprad
Hello guys!
I’m a :clown_face: !!!

I have chosen “No bootloader” option in installer, but grub doesn’t work…
honka_animated-128px-34

1 Like

File /var/log/endeavour-install.log will tell which bootloader was selected at install, if any.
So adding that log file here, with the help of e.g. eos-log-tool, will show all recorded details during install.

luckily this is not really a big thing, was a lot more with Antergos.
It is a general thing that every distro is still using grub per default … if you step beyond it will cause some confusion. But why omit it only to please everyone?