Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

could be there will be no fix for this…

I tried this but I got

liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of `airootfs'.
[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ 

and

liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: failed to get canonical path of `/boot/efi'.

I managed to fix this issue by downgrading the grub like everyone else however it still wasn’t booting as the nvidia-uvm kernel module was failing to load.

I fixed this issue by ctrl+alt+f2 to get to tty2 and doing “pacman -Sy nvidia” and then rebooting

Hope this helps other people that are stuck even after downgrading grub.

Apologies for formatting I’m on my phone

1 Like

Arch and it’s many derivatives are very very popular, so there are A LOT of users with various hardware setups that will find bugs the devs did not simply because their hardware is different. Thankfully though, because there is a very healthy amount of Arch users in the wild, a fix or a workaround for critical bugs like this grub issue is almost guaranteed within the first 24-48 hours of an issue that affects most users.

There’s always a plethora of reasons why an Arch dev/maintainer hasn’t fixed it yet (work, family, time zone difference, vacation, sick, etc), but whoever maintains the grub package might be busy right now. I’d expect a fix deployed within the next day or two since this news has already broke out within the Arch communities.

Is

grub-install --version

For Arch to check the grub version?

I can hope someone release a fix that works for me then :slight_smile:
Sadly I’ve tried to update according to the instructions but no dice :frowning:

SIC!

To check what module has failed to load you can do “systemctl status systemd-modules-load”
And this should show that nvidia-uvm has failed if you have the same problem that I encountered

God Bless you

1 Like

It isn’t even clear right now if it is broken or not. Also, nobody has opened a bug with Arch as far as I know so why would it get withdrawn.

1 Like

Are you sure? I can’t see anything like grub-install in the grub-mkconfig script… :thinking:

1 Like

Scotty, as I said, I don’t expect (or even demand) a fix within a few hours but I expect that a update with critical bugs to be withdrawn ASAP. So why is it still live?

I will appreciate any help from experts.
This is a real bad bug!

1 Like

confirmed… :hot_face:

2 Likes

you need to arch-chroot first and it does not look like so from your prompt…

as most users need to run grub-install to solve the issue.

from the link provided I did:

[liveuser@eos-2022.06.23 ~]$ sudo sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --/run/media/liveuser/61a4b393-816a-4e46-b1c1-414fd890d68a/@/boot/efi/=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=EndeavourOS-grub
grub-install: unrecognized option '--/run/media/liveuser/61a4b393-816a-4e46-b1c1-414fd890d68a/@/boot/efi/=/boot/efi'
Try 'grub-install --help' or 'grub-install --usage' for more information.

So this is pretty interesting. I can’t find any documentation that states that this is required. Almost none of the official grub documentation or the distro-specific documentation addresses upgrading grub at all.

However, if it is required, we(and many others) are doing it wrong.

I don’t think that is true. grub-mkconfig just creates a new grub config. It doesn’t reinstall the bootloader.

4 Likes

I wonder, will it be fixed upstream to avoid that manual intervention? :clown_face:

P.S. Holy crap, i think i’ve just hit an emoji-jackpot! :rofl:

2 Likes

Take it with a grain of salt since I’m not a dev or maintainer, but if the bug isn’t reproducible for them what else are they really supposed to do? If it works for them, hence why the updated the package, but it breaks for others, it might be something else with the other users, and that requires more investigations than just pulling back a package suddenly.