Grub 2:2.06.r322.gd9b4638c5-1 won't boot and goes straight to the BIOS after update

That is wrong. You need to follow the chroot instructions. Follow what is described here:

Yup - it’s definitely left as something implied, which probably isn’t great given e.g. security updates that rely on an updated loader. From IRC, it does look like many Arch users just reinstall the loader themselves as a matter of course, but it does kind of look like it should be documented.

It’s possible to add a post-update hook to do it, but that would have to match the initial installation options.

3 Likes

Got this message too and could fix it by typing

arch-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

before executing the grub-mkconfig

I wasn’t saying it was a solution. Just reporting what i did on btrfs and i was able to boot properly.

Can only be “short term”, according to @dalto.

Not sure what you mean?

It’s not clear if it’s broken? Could it just be a coincident that multiple ppl here can’t boot after the update?
And do you really think that the devs (I hope it’s not just one guy) didn’t get any reports yet?

Don’t get me wrong, that’s not sarcasm but serious questions.

On Android, I usually wait at least 3-4 hours before installing updates because if there’s the slightest chance that an update causes serious problems then it’s usually pulled within 2 hours. And it works, I never had any serious bugs caused by an update.

1 Like

Look upwards in this mega-thread…

There’s no bug been filed against the new grub-version on Arch, so far.

Anyone filing it from here!?

I am unable to fix it, chrooted almost 10 times and did the above mentioned steps ,but it still doesn’t work. Please help…

1 Like

If @jonathon is correct (and let’s face it he usually is) the problem is not with the updated grub package, but the lack of clarity in the Arch documentation for grub leading to incorrect implementations (that somehow have not exploded until now). I think I’ve summarised that correctly?

2 Likes

I still don’t know what you are telling me. I never said anything other than what i did on my system which is btrfs to get it to boot up properly doing an arch-chroot and downgrading grub.

Well, that sounds pretty unprofessional for me. In my opinion, if there’s the slightest chance that a update causes critical bugs it has to be pulled ASAP. Then the devs can research.

If you have a second computer on hand you could put this on an USB Stick: https://www.supergrubdisk.org/category/download/supergrub2diskdownload/super-grub2-disk-stable/, boot from the USB stick and then via supergrub2 into your normal EndeavourOS. Then you can perform a downgrade or whatever on GRUB.

Is it loading directly to the BIOS or is it trying to load and stalling?

It directly goes to the BIOS.

They can’t research something they can’t replicate.

There’s no clear pattern in this thread about what systems are affected or why, and that would be something very useful to collate.

4 Likes

do you see any error on executing commands? or does all of them run fine ??

Also, which commands (specifically) did you run?

1 Like

Is it possible you have not arch-chroot properly?

The Fog!