Great exodus from LastPass to Bitwarden

One way around that is to build them with an algorithm - *IF you can remember the algorithm! :grin:

Personally I have only about 100, and keep ‘thinking’ about keepassx - but haven’t got 'round to it yet (3 or 4 years thinking so far)…

2 Likes

An excellent suggestion! I’m checking out Bitwarden today and considering trying 1Pass.

Edit: Deleted! :partying_face:

any recommendations for good feature by feature comparisons between:
Lastpass
1password
Bitwarden

Comes down to trust.

Personally I’d never store my 500+ passwords in the cloud, with anyone, but for a lot of people that is not an issue compared to convenience.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about switching from Bitwarden to Keepass but I’ve had my Keypass database corrupted by one of the Android apps when testing. So far Bitwarden works great, it’s just that the Android app feels slow.

But, yeah, I also quit LastPass a few years ago.

1 Like

I agree with @otherbarry , so I guess I’ll be keeping my little notepad lol. :smile:

To be fair, he is probably using an offline password manager, not a notepad :grin:

3 Likes

KeepassXC with 32 char password and keyfile, definitely not a notepad file.

Stored centrally for access by all systems, backed up EVERYWHERE…

3 Likes

Just to reiterate/reconfirm, you can use the Bitwarden browser extension and connect it to a self-hosted instance. (It works really well.)

Of course, you then also have to trust the place you’re hosting it on… :man_facepalming:

:grin:

2 Likes

And hope it doesn’t get hacked.

:grin:

1 Like

I exported my LastPass last month, Bitwarden looking good in Firefox and on the iphone now.

Just be careful, if you forget your Bitwarden password you lose everything (can’t be recovered - you need to delete and create a new account). I was lucky, I didn’t delete mine and had an epiphany waking up this morning as to what the real meaning of my ‘hint’ was…

1 Like

Switched to BitWarden yesterday, and switching couldn’t be much easier since LastPass allows you to export your vault, and BitWarden allows you to import it. Still getting used to a few things, haven’t figured out how to get it to fill in passwords and the like so far, though that might be because I hadn’t yet deleted LastPass. I also love the sidebar it puts into Firefox, makes it very easy to use.

Usually, a password you can remember is not a very secure password. You want your passwords to be something like this (not an actual password I use, of course):

nc4FpBQ2xuRjCfsQ7

and you certainly don’t want to reuse them, as password databases get hacked all the time. Unless you have some autistic superpowers, a password of this complexity can only be remembered if you type it several times a day. A password manager allows you to have to remember only one such password (or none, depending on how you encrypt the database), so even the accounts you use once a year or less, can be protected by a secure password.

Yes, I can imagine that to be quite a bit of work. Personally, I have four, and two of them I don’t keep properly synced, because even an outdated KeePass database is useful (for accounts I use most often). If I had ~20 devices, I would set up a home server and have them automatically sync as soon as they connect to it. If I had a situation where two versions of the database are updated, that would complicate things a bit, and probably require manual syncing. KeePass is pretty good at that, it even has scripting capabilities to allow for automatisation, but that requires investing effort into learning how to use them. So yes, there are downsides to everything.

2 Likes

ROFL
Find the Bitwarden icon in Firefox or whatever,
Click it and then click the cogs at the bottom…
Scroll down and check OTHER>options

n"c4<F_pB[Q2xuR]j'CfsQ7

Even better with symbols.

The point is valid, however, and the key password - maybe your Bitwarden Master - should be as good as any other. That’s one worth writing a story about to help remember it…

1 Like

The thing I don’t like about Bitwarden is that it’s online. It’s probably okay, but it makes my tinfoil hat itch…

1 Like

Well, if those gibberish symbols mean something to you (you of all people should know that, mr. ancient Egyptian language :frog: :rofl: ), through mnemonics or some other clever techniques - it’s doable…

Unless of course you have 800 passwords like @dalto :laughing:

2 Likes

No, I have just a few with good sentences to remember, which are 8-12 characters long. The rest are gibberish and need storing…

Using Ancient Egyptian phrases as passwords is too obvious, I never do that.1 A dedicated hacker might spend the next 2-3 years learning Middle Egyptian grammar and vocabulary in order to guess my passwords, and thus steal my collection of frog photos… Too risky. :frog:

1 Or do I? :male_detective: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Bitwarden + Yubikey. #FTW