Gparted not detecting primary drive during manual partitioning on a secondary drive

Yes… good idea.

Anyway Thanks for trying to help.

Should I try Manjaro (cuz I heard some youtubers swearing its stability)

Manjaro has the vmd module also so you could try it. They use their own tool for that. It’s worth trying i guess to see if it see’s the drive. If it doesn’t then i would say that RST has to be turned off in the BIOS or changed from Raid to AHCI and still needs the vmd module to load. But they have that set up also as far as i know.

Thanks, I will try that.

1 Like

@kasifmd84
Here is the info to show you why RST needs to turned off. This is some documentation from Ubuntu.

Edit: It also explains as i said that it will most likely cause Windows not to boot or have to be reinstalled. Sometimes you can fix Windows and they explain how to make the changes.

Thanks again, I will go through it thoroughly

Hey, sorry to bother you again but I think I found something on acer laptops forum for exactly the same model as mine. If you could authenticate these couple of cmd command it would be of great help.

Hello,
Go to BIOS screen, move to Main tab, press Ctrl+S buttons together, press F10 to save and exit, AHCI option should be available in Main tab. In case that you want to use windows after you switch to AHCI perform the steps below first:

1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
  4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
  5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
  6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
  9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled

Edit : I’m not able to install “ANY” distro. I tried 5-6 distros (arch based, ubuntu based).

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! :smile:

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already:

Please make sure you have a working backup of your personal files and data on another (external) disk before doing anything else!

Backup(s) can be a life saver… :wink:

Sure, I will do that

There is also a simpler solution.

1 Like

Yes i remember this now on Acer laptops. @zoli62 has posted an easier solution for Windows. Turning off RST or changing from Raid to AHCI is not the problem. It’s not being able to boot Windows and having to reinstall. For most users if they are just installing Linux it’s not an issue but if you have important stuff on Windows then it’s a risk if you don’t have that data saved somewhere else.

When i look at the output of your hardware it shows AHCI already so turning off RST may not cause this problem as it already should have the AHCI drivers loaded. But i can’t know that with 100% certainty. I don’t have the hardware to test my theory.

Edit: Better not to take the risk if you have important stuff on Windows.

Hey folks, I think that rst was the root cause.
Changed it to ahci after backing up important data and voila it works. Now I can install eos and hope that it won’t run into boot problems in future.

Anyway thanks guys I am marking the solution.

1 Like

Yes Rst is the cause. I was hesitant to tell you to do that because of important data on Windows. It’s only a nuisance to have to re-install Windows but it’s the data that would be lost. Normally i would tell a user to turn off Rst if it has that setting and it automatically will set ahci and on some systems you set ahci and Rst is automaticlly turned off.

1 Like

Good luck and welcome to the forum @kasifmd84
:enos_flag:

2 Likes

According to these, did you manage to switch from RST to AHCI in the BIOS without reinstalling Windows? This is good news. Did you resize your Windows partition with Windows or Gparted? In the former case, after the first Windows boot after installing Linux, you can expect that the machine will most likely start with a file system scan. Here is a good EndeavourOS installation guide with dual boot boot.

In response to the pm you wrote to me: Are you sure you did not forget to turn on the boot flag for the EFI partition?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.