Gnome 43 Bugs

this is the best way to install extensions if you dont want to use the firefox extension

So far I have encountered 2 things that I think are bugs:

1. Night Mode doesn’t work anymore:

2. Device Security feature is missing

1 Like

Screenshot from 2022-11-02 09-39-32

@HMS_Endeavour

I could enable WebExtensions in Epiphany 43 by using dconf-editor, going to the following scheme:

/gnome/org/epiphany/web

and

enable the key:

enable-webextensions

BUT, none of the few extensions that did seem to be enabled and added to the browser seem to be properly loaded. None of them worked :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

You might want to give this a try and if you get it to work, I would appreciate if you shared how.

1 Like

You can install extensions from the AUR also, although not all are there.

I’ve just upgraded, and I sadly realized that in Nautilus, folders are not expandable anymore as a tree… :sob:

Awesome, and it saves the last icon size, so it’s all good.
Now to find a hack for this expandable folders, hmmmm.

1 Like

Gnome has already been updated on one of my computers, I wouldn’t have noticed it if I hadn’t seen that it was incompatible with one of the extensions. Anyway, thanks for this useful summary of what’s new in Gnome 43.

3 Likes

So, my opinion for what its worth on Gnome Text-Editor and Gnome Console in G43

GTE has better font rendering and formatting for text than gedit imo, but the 3 dot and burger menu need work. The burger menu or 3 dot should go and they need to be merged but otherwise its doing ok as a gedit replacement if you want to use it. There isnt just a find function and its part of the find/replace which im iffy on. The settings are fairly simple but it has somewhat reasonable defaults minus the restoring the last document youd been working with which i found annoying.

Console also seems to render font better than Gnome Terminal. Itll also warn you if youre pasting a command in that will run with privileges which for newer users may be a good thing. Otherwise its just a bare bones terminal and not much to praise or complain about.

1 Like

i don’t know if this belongs here. but with my installation on my laptop the synchronization with my nextcloud and gnome online accounts doesn’t work

What does it mean that the synchronization does not work with your Gnome account? Are there any error messages?

i got this one

gnome-control-center -v online-accounts

(gnome-control-center:10866): Gtk-WARNING **: 19:11:48.589: Theme parser error: gtk.css:5189:48-49: Expected a valid selector

(gnome-control-center:10866): cc-wwan-panel-WARNING **: 19:11:48.922: Error connecting to ModemManager: Fehler beim Aufruf von StartServiceByName für org.freedesktop.ModemManager1: Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service not found.
GLib-GIO: _g_io_module_get_default: Found default implementation dconf (DConfSettingsBackend) for ?gsettings-backend?GoaBackend: Loading all providers: GoaBackend:  - googleGoaBackend:  - owncloudGoaBackend:  - windows_liveGoaBackend:  - exchangeGoaBackend:  - lastfmGoaBackend:  - imap_smtpGoaBackend:  - kerberosGoaBackend: activated kerberos providerGoaBackend:  - media-serverGLib-GIO: Using cross-namespace EXTERNAL authentication (this will deadlock if server is GDBus < 2.73.3)19:11:49.0883                    (null):    DEBUG: No extra argument
19:11:49.0890      diagnostics-cc-panel:    DEBUG: ABRT vanished

i’ve opened a thread here yesterday

So if I understand correctly, actually the default Gedit hasn’t been completely replaced by gnome-text-editor yet?

I have just changed it.
i don’t know why, but i have my contacts as well as tasks and appointments on a nextcloud instance. all this syncs great with my android smartphone or plasma desktop. i also have the gnome online accounts nextcloud set up. nothing will be synchronized

nope

Please see this explanation:

2 Likes

I tried gnome-text-editor and one thing I couldn’t figure out how to make it do was to show anything like the details gedit shows at the bottom of the window … like line number and column positions, tab width, document formatting type (ie plain text vs various code formats) and an INS/OVR inidcator. These all seem like basic things you need to see/know when working on any text document with more than a few lines. Sort of a deal killer for me with gnome-text-editor

2 Likes

Right.
It just stayed on my system for about 3 minutes :sweat_smile:
Too :bone:

1 Like

Thanks, that’s clear now. I use Xfce terminal anyway, and Nano when I need it.

1 Like