Gnome 42 Bugs

I also randomly stumbled upon a temporary solution until Gnome fixes the issue of Xorg users having their GTk4 windows increase in size with every new launch. The Smart Auto Movie extension fixes that by remembering the windows last known size and location that you gave it. I’ve tested it on a few GTk2/GTk3/GTK4 app windows with success. It can look a little janky sometimes, when a GTK4 “attempts” to open at an increased size for a split second and this extension corrects that behavior almost instantly, but overall it’s a none issue. The issue of windows increasing in size constantly was a far greater issue.

Feel free to install the extension and test it out for yourself if you were affected by this bug, as I don’t believe it happens on Wayland, so Xorg users rejoice: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/4736/smart-auto-move/

@HMS_Endeavour you might want to use this in tandem with your other extension or try just this one exclusively, good luck! Dev note,

"smart-auto-move is a Gnome Shell extension which keeps track of all application windows and restores them to the previous position, size, and workspace on restart. Supports Wayland.

NOTE: this process has only been tested with GNOME running on wayland."

I’ve tested it on Xorg as well and it does work as intended, no issues I can see so far.

Thanks @Scotty_Trees that’s plenty of options. I am sure one will work. I should have mentioned I am on Wayland, but I will try it on xorg just in case. Your replies are well appreciated.

1 Like

I don’t want to override the version check to get it working in case it breaks something else.
I have confidence Gnome devs will address this, so it can wait while they fully roll out 42.

Hello, Ihave bug in gnome. When I go to top left corner to see open apps in view mode and click X to close one app, gnome desktop freezes, everything turn black and I see only that one window I want to close. After few second I see my desktop but all apps are closed.

Regards.

This is a known bug, it will be fixed in 42.1

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3165

2 Likes

OK, thanks.

Gnome 42.1 should be out April 23, pending there’s no delays. And Arch should package it shortly after that, so you might only have to wait a couple days from now to maybe a week out till the fix arrives for us, FYI.

2 Likes
Off Topic

Does anyone know how the term “Computer Bug” came about?

First computer bug

Famously, the very first instance of a computer “bug” was recorded at 3:45 pm (15:45) on the 9th of September 1947. This “bug” was an actual real-life moth, well, an ex-moth, that was extracted to the number 70 relay, Panel F, of the Harvard Mark II Aiken Relay Calculator.

This “bug” (which a two-inch wingspan (5 cm)) was preserved behind a piece of adhesive tape on the machines’ logbook with the now immortalized phrase “[The] First actual case of a bug being found”.

So the first “computer bug” was, in fact, a literal bug.

The cause of the bug’s appearance appears to have been down to members of the programming teams’ late-night shift, which included the pioneering computer scientist, and former U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Grace Hopper. A team member left the windows of the room open at night. This was more than enough to let in the moth, which was attracted by the lights in the room and the heat of the calculator to nestle in the ‘gubbins’ of the Mark II Harvard, where it met its unfortunate end.

The Origin of the Term 'Computer Bug'

Source: U.S. Naval Historical Center/Wikimedia Commons

Pudge

9 Likes

I seem to have found a bug with Gnome 42 and Wayland. I have extensions all turned off. I got a black screen and had to log back in through the GDM. This time I just used it normally and I could not close any windows, instead it just shuddered, but I still could not focus the window.

I rebooted and adusted the extensions, and could not even work.

Tried Gnome Classic, and even though it does not give the issue, it’s a step back to what I use. Next I booted in Gnome on xorg – problem gone.

So for now I am back to setting the GDM to Gnome on xorg.

Who is having similar problems?

Oh dear, I am talking to myself again :crazy_face:

Wayland is now mysteriously working with Gnome 42 again.
https://clbin.com/3gSbo

Any clues?

Magic… :hugs:

Hope it stays that way :crossed_fingers:

Hint …

Screenshot_20220424_183627

2 Likes

Previously I could set desktop background from within gthumb by right-clicking on the picture and choosing “Set as Background” in the menu. Now I can’t despite the affirmative message.

Has anyone else stumbled upon this?

Screenshot from 2022-04-25 12-41-10

Screenshot from 2022-04-25 12-36-37

Eye of Gnome aka eog is the default image viewer in Gnome, very similar to gThumb though, that will let you change your wallpaper from within the app.

Screenshot from 2022-04-25 07-14-05

Thanks for the tips @Scotty_Trees!

It’s that EOG lacks some of the functionalities available in gThumb, like basic editing, colour adjustment, metadata deletion etc. That’s why I have been using gThumb. However, setting the background works in EOG.

1 Like

This bug has not been fixed in 42.1

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/-/issues/3165

To reproduce the problem, try to close programs from the Activities overview, but keep the mouse button clicked in the X of the window for a few seconds… Expect a crash.

gnome-shell v42.1 isn’t out yet in the stable Arch Extra repo and the package isn’t even in the testing repos either, so I don’t how you’re able to come to that conclusion already.

Updated today a few packages and yes, my mistake…
Indeed gnome-shell is not among them…

[2022-04-27T19:29:17-0300] [ALPM] upgraded gnome-desktop-common (1:42.0-1 -> 1:42.1-1)
[2022-04-27T19:29:17-0300] [ALPM] upgraded gnome-desktop (1:42.0-1 -> 1:42.1-1)
[2022-04-27T19:29:17-0300] [ALPM] upgraded gnome-desktop-4 (1:42.0-1 -> 1:42.1-1)
1 Like

I know bugs are no fun, but I’m confident most of them (at least the ones with closed bug reports) will be fixed soon or in the coming weeks. Fedora 36 comes out next week on May 3rd, so Fedora’s base will also catch any additional bugs that may have managed to get passed their QA.

It’s a bit of a painful reminder of what it’s like being on the bleeding edge of software updates, but honestly I wouldn’t have it any other way, using EndeavourOS has been a wonderful experience so far.

1 Like