Gnome 42 Bugs

Thanks @Scotty_Trees for the reply!
Good to know that it is not only me and that it is a known issue. Hopefully a fix is in the pipeline.

1 Like

After upgrading to Gnome 42 there is a problem: when I try to close some minimized window I am immediately logged out.

Below is a video:

1 Like

Hi, after Gnome 42 upgrade I can not activate gnome extensions anymore in Firefox.
Extensions are all available for Gnome 42, they are downloaded, but when I try to activate them, immediately they are turned off.
Thanks for the help.

EDIT: There is a global switch for extension. Installed Gnome Extension Desktop App and it shows up.

Thanks @troe43 for your reply!
Your video demonstrates exactly the issue I’m also facing.
I haven’t looked into it further and I don’t know if it is reported upstream.
Just hoping here it will get fixed soon.

1 Like

You might want to search around Gitlab for an open or recently closed bug report for your issue. It’s possible the issue has already been reported, but do keep in mind not all issues are reproducible by the developers so if that’s the case it’s a lot harder for them to fix it. And there is the slight chance your issue isn’t reported yet, so I would just search and double check some user has already reported it.

Ideally, by April 23rd when Gnome 42.1 is released (considering no delays), that should fix many of the issues currently facing users. You may have to open a bug report if it comes down to it :wink:

1 Like

For any users that also are having this issue above, as others have reported on Arch as well, here’s an open bug report I found to track the issue for now:

@troe43 @pebcak I don’t have a solution unfortunately, but I’ve found this bug report you can track on this exact issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for following up on this and for the link!

The description of the issue from the bug report matches exactly what I am seeing as well.
Good to know that the devs are aware of the issue now. Looking forward a fix, hopefully by April the 23rd.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Scotty, for the life of me, I can’t see any difference when starting with Wayland or x11 from gdm. The gear icon used to have the option for Wayland or x11 on Gnome. A few days ago, I looked at it, and it shows Gnome and x11 on Gnome. Gnome about shows it’s Wayland as per the screenshot.
I am not interested in going down that rabbit hole of how/why Mutter became Wayland, since it’s not explained well in the Gnome Wiki, and doesn’t explain the difference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_(software) but I do want to know which one should I be using and why on Gnome 42.

Hope that’s not too confusing. here are a few screen shots.
neofetch 2022-04-08 18-21-58

Screenshot from 2022-04-12 08-39-55

Wayland.

It’s generally more responsive.

(There are hundreds of caveats that I’m sure other people will list - NVIDIA, games, certain software, screen sharing - but Wayland is the better option when it works)

2 Likes

Meaning it crashes, hangs? I don’t have nVidia or games, so I shoud be right with Wayland :smiley:

Yes. Or a black screen on resume from suspend, or…

Yes. I’ve been running Wayland on two systems for a while without any issues - the only ones that I still run with Xorg have NVIDIA GPUs.

2 Likes

So, I am staying with Wayland, even though so many are bad mouthing it all over the web. Thanks @jonathon

2 Likes

I have run wayland on plasma for months and it is very good. Some power users may have issues here and there but for the most part it is fine. I am currently testing Gnome 42 with wayland. So far so good. Very smooth so far. Don’t beleive everything you read on the internet lol. Just come here and ask people who are actually using it and can trust.

1 Like

I don’t. If I did, I would not have found my way here :joy:

1 Like

what is the advantage of wayland? So far I only see gnome extensions or programs that say it only works under xorg

This is going off-topic, but the main advantage is having less complexity than Xorg, and therefore allowing better performance and easier maintenance.

4 Likes

And then there is this little part that for the life of me I can’t understand why people get upset about it :joy:

Security

Wayland isolates the input and output of every window, achieving confidentiality, integrity and availability for both. The original X design lacked these important security features,[10][11][12] although some extensions have been developed trying to mitigate it.[37][38][39] Also, with the vast majority of the code running in the client, less code needs to run with root privileges, improving security,[10] although multiple popular Linux distributions now allow X to be run without root privileges.[40][41][42][43]

4 Likes

“What do you mean I can’t log in via SSH and then record someone else’s screen with VLC?”

:joy:

3 Likes

now i remember where wayland annoyed me, flameshot doesn’t work there :frowning:

thanks anyway for the info

1 Like