Free and Open-Source extremism is on the rise!

4 Likes

Jeez…Sam’s source (nudes) :partying_face:

1 Like

That is not funny. That are criminals.

5 Likes

Also it doesn’t really help anyone. The code won’t be used in any existing projects and I doubt it will change the minds of those companies to release their code as open source.

And while I don’t think code like this should stay closed behind doors, breaking those doors is sure a crime that is not to be encouraged.

4 Likes

Yeah, it won’t help because if Nvidia gives in, it will set a new precedent and encourage more attacks like this. But it’s kind of funny that some guy finally flipped during Nouveau NVIDIA driver installation.

3 Likes

While illegal, not all crimes are bad.

I’m looking at getting a gaming laptop to replace my aging Dell Inspiron sooner than later. There really very few options that are all AMD/INTEL out there.

If Nvidia would open source their drivers it would expand my potential choices 100 fold.

5 Likes

This is a very strange statement. Let me think about it. Not being bad means it is good. So what is good about hacking Samsung or Nvidia and steal their intellectual property? For whom is that good? For the community, for Linux, for you, for NVIDIA or Samsung? I dont get it.

3 Likes

Someone years ago wrote a book about a guy who stole from the rich to give to the poor. Robin Hood is a widely accepted hero by many. Albeit a criminal Enterprise.

5 Likes

Which brings me back to my initial question: This hacking activity was good for whom? The poor?

2 Likes

It depends. Just like in the story. Robin Hood was good for the poor, bad for the king.

It could be good for anyone using Nvidia on Linux. It could be good if you’re a Foss guy looking to upgrade their components. Possibly bad for Nvidia

There’s a lot of possibilities, use your imagination.

Who do you feel would benefit from this?/hurt by this?

Yeah, almost 800 million people leaving in absolute poverty in the world are in jubilation for me being able to use open source driver for my top notch nVidia graphics card.

Cynicism is the order of the day.

2 Likes

Thanks. I needed a good laugh… That’s a good way to start a very stressful morning!

I can not think of any benefit if you steal the intellectual property from nvidia. No one will be able to do anything with it if they do not want to be sued. It will not benefit Linux or the community or you as the user.

3 Likes

You are welcome!
I always try to stretch a hand to the distressed.

1 Like

You’d have to think outside the box a little more, but that’s definitely the view they hope you have.

It would be interesting to know if they are more upset about the loss of control of the code - or that their dubious marketing tricks are being exposed? (turning off features of the card you pay for in the software they ship with it, for instance). So many viewpoints…

3 Likes

:point_up:

Oh yes they are, this is highly illegal mind you ( i mean stuff like they did with Quadros)…
I’m sure Samsung spyware will come out too.

3 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes.

3 Likes

The lapsus$ hacker group is known for multiple ransomware attacks. nvidia and samsung are just their most recent, most prominent victims. lapsus$ has stolen and leaked employee credentials from nvidia and samsung.

I do not understand how any of this could be a good act. How that compares to Robin Hood. And I fail, to see how I could use “out of the box thinking” to make me believe that lapsus$ are doing the right thing.

What they are doing is evil. Period.

5 Likes

I have to disagree with that. I don’t think it is at all evil. Sure it is criminal, but if a law is unjust, breaking it is a heroic act.

Especially if it hurts evil corporations like Samsung and NoVidea, exposes their evil, and helps others in the process.

I think Lapsus$ did a wonderful thing with this. I hope they do it to Micro$oft and Goolag, and Amazon next, and I hope they make millions in the process, they deserve them.

3 Likes