FOSS screen space ray tracing with any game and GPU

Today i’ve started writing RTGI configuration guide, it’s pretty heavy and unfinished yet…

But man, after testing some out of bounds values ( :shushing_face:)…For now i’d like to just share some results from Dishonored, to me it’s mind-blowing!

Look fullscreen! :sunglasses:

Before:

After:

Before:

After: (holy crap, check out small details and light bounces on lamp!)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

7 Likes

Those are some great before and after shots. Definitely looks better with Reshade.

Can’t wait when RT is the new normal and GPU’s can render it with ease.

3 Likes

Those are some great before and after shots. Definitely looks better with Reshade.

Thx! :slight_smile: And most importantly it is realtime, in action it looks stunning!

Can’t wait when RT is the new normal and GPU’s can render it with ease.

Aaaaaaaactually… :upside_down_face:

Future of Ray Tracing

Here’s some theory and my thinking about future of tech - Path tracing is the way to go! (it’s what we’re actually seeing with this shader here) :slight_smile:

P.S. I’m pretty sure that Path tracing also naturally produce Refraction and Dispersion effects, but was unable to confirm it, if some of you know it for fact - please tell us here :slight_smile:

Also here is pretty nice video about the whole matter of RT vs Faking it with traditional methods:

2 Likes

Good video, will watch that when I am home.

I myself am also always reading and watching these graphics tech videos. Ever since I was a kid I was interested in games and the graphics and that hasn’t dwindled a bit over the years.

Only thing that is mostly disappointing to me is that generally consoles are holding graphics back for a few years because of their release cycle.

Luckily with the wait soon to be over with the new consoles, many developers will be using the new techniques so the next few years are going to be good.

1 Like

Indeed, although my most concerns for newer games are not graphics at all, but:

• Physics
  • AI
  • Gameplay

Sadly late years haven’t bring anything really outstanding, to my taste, with just very few exceptions…

But hopefully when graphical burden of complex simulations, will be less and less important due to tracing techniques in overall game dev process - it will bring those 3 essential components more to life! :space_invader:

Oh, seems it’s already exist on Cryengine!! again! :upside_down_face:
https://youtu.be/kGxqiw8UWns

Looks absolutely insane and works on all GPUs - sounds like Path tracing to me :slight_smile:
Compared to what Unreal Engine 5 tries to do in terms of Ray tracing on RTX GPU only, lagging & noisin behind that…

Well take your pick :slight_smile:

I just wanted to pop in and say that I absolutely love this write-up and the effort you put into it. Very exciting stuff!

3 Likes

Much appreciated, it’s not even close to finish yet! :upside_down_face:
A lot of exciting stuff ahead! :rocket:

Here’s in-depth explanation of Cryengine demo:

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

You gotta be…

:rofl:

So…Only way is to break on 1 and 2 posts i guess?

Just make a part one and part two :smile: I should also move this over to the gaming section no?

1 Like

All right… :upside_down_face:

There’s gaming section? :sweat_smile: I missed that one…
Well, i guess you can move it then :slight_smile:

1 Like

All right, i’m tired as hell, as it was not easy at all to sum this up, those are most important aspects of RTGI:

7.2. SSRTGI (Screen space ray tracing global illumination)
8. Problems

There are still couple of parameters and problems need some proper writing though…
@Sojiro84 Since you use RTGI - might wanna read that - plenty of stuff to grasp :wink:

P.S. If someone will come up with solutions to common problems or i’ve missed something important - please do hit me up here :slight_smile:

P.P.S. @BONK maybe moving was a mistake, since:

issues… and this is not really an issue here, more like a solution :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s better than the pub! :rofl:

Small but cool update!

6.3. Requirements

Read updated Network and REMOVE NETWORK RESTRICTIONS :partying_face:

Also on general ReShade configuration note:

Enable :ballot_box_with_check: Performance mode (on bottom of UI) when you done tweaking and happy with results, this will allow ReShade to start much faster, but won’t allow to tweak, so disable if you want further tweaking!

3 Likes

RTGI v0.16 followed by bugfix RTGI v0.16.0.1 got released :slight_smile:
Haven’t tested it yet, but that’s good news! :space_invader:

And i have finally fixed post and made it one single wiki post, so table of content works perfectly for all items now :slight_smile:
Hopefully will write some nice updates soon!

1 Like

Done some testing of beta v0.16.0.1 - it’s extremely impressive!

Now it’s my new goto recommendation, since it has best quality and balanced performance compared to other versions.
There is also some strongly reduced flickering on extreme values for lighting, now you really have to look like that :face_with_monocle: to notice a noise!

And there are some new functions too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

ReShade v4.8 released!

WARNING: This update has some breaking changes that require updates from shader maintainers (and therefore not all your installed effects may work until that has happened)!

Haven’t tested with RT shaders yet, but since there were no updates from McFly yet i assume it should be fine :upside_down_face:

Edit 31
Updated default file example for ReShade.ini, mainly useful for newcomers :slight_smile:

Oh, and now by default new preset naming is ReShadePreset.ini, but if you use older one it should pick up it just fine.

Since ReShade v4.8 brings a lot of internal changes, but that way they’re not breaking if you use latest shaders too :yum:

ENBSeries dev Boris Vorontsov have posted new development screenshots of his new ray-tracing techniques:
http://enbdev.com/ss_deusex3_en.htm

Looking pretty early, but interesting :upside_down_face:

C++ ASCII ray tracing

1 Like